Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cutting rear muffler out?

bradmcco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
hey would it sound any good if i cut the rear muffler out of my stock vz sv6?
thanks

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Nope it will certainly won't. Mine was like that when I got it and although it was loud it sounded horrible and the drone was awful.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
May also find yourself in trouble with authorities. It is illegal to modify/change any part of the engine combustion/exhaust/intake/fuel etc as you would be in breach of ADRs (Australian Design Rules) All vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1986 must comply with ADR 37 including:

•This category of vehicle may only be fitted with an ADR 37 or later complying engine - ie an engine designed to only operate on unleaded fuel), which incorporates all associated emission control components.
•Fitting an engine other than an original or optional engine requires approval from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.
•No alterations to the engine's camshaft, inlet manifold, carburettor/fuel injectors, engine control unit or the catalytic converter or exhaust emission control standards are permitted.
•Airflow meters must not be disconnected.
•Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or throttle bodies are not permitted.
•Extra or larger fuel injectors or variable fuel pressure regulators are not permitted.
•If the vehicle was originally fitted with a catalytic converter by the manufacturer, the vehicle must continue to operate with one.

and

Emission Control Laws.

Check with Authorities in your State

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
hey would it sound any good if i cut the rear muffler out of my stock vz sv6?
thanks

Ummm, no.

But then it's all subjective. You may think it sounds good, but every other person that hears it will think it sounds like ****. The Alloytec sounds like **** with even the wrong style of cat back.

I do a Manta twin 2 1/4" into single 3" that's sounds really good on the VZ. No drone and no raspy high pitched note. $495 shipped.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
So Benboy, what you are saying is, any mods that are suggested on here are illegal? May as well shut the forum down now.
I gather you work for SAPOL?? Removing the rear muffler (not the cat convertor) isnt braking any law unless it is over the maximum allowed decibel
reading. And the pipe exits out where it should. Or am I incorrect?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
well F**k me, most cars on here and probably 50% on the road would be illegal/unroadworthy according to your writing benboy

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Removing the rear muffler (not the cat convertor) isnt braking any law unless it is over the maximum allowed decibel
reading. And the pipe exits out where it should. Or am I incorrect?

Actually, removing the rear muffler is a defect, the exhaust has to retain all the original configuration, including flollowing the original line as well as having the same number of mufflers as it left the factory with.

Most times you will get away with it, except if you are pulled up by a copper followed by a camera crew.