Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CV Joint Removal

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
Hi,
The inner cv joint boots have split on my calais. Removed all 8mm hex bolts on both ends, according to the manual and what ive read elsewhere they should just come off after this...but it wont come down seems to catch on its flanges.

Any ideas?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Never done this myself but from reading what is involved and how they are constructed but I'd say (presuming the car is on stands and wheels still on) you need to raise or lower the wheel (not the body) to move/change the angle the CV flanges join...like reduce the side thrust which is preventing them separating. This may give them enough room to miss the flange.
Sorry I cannot help more. Good Luck.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
sorry about this, i miss read i thought you meant that your removing the cv from the alxe (which you will need to do).

to get the alxes off, jus move the wheel up and down as hako said, this will give you enough movement to remove it, you can also tilt the ends of the cv's to give you enough room. the ends of the alxes have a hump which helps to keep the hub within the flange, great when putting them back in the car.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
personally the reaer cvs on irs i just jack up body so suspension is at full travel
then hold the inner one and pull it towards the outside of car (wheel)
it just sort of comes out only has a few mm clearance but it does come out