Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CV8 head bolt sizes.

JEEPERS45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore. And April 2002 CV8.
Hi. I have just got a 2002 series2 CV8. It has a blown head gasket. Cant get it in the shed till next week But I want to order parts. Does the 2002 5.7 LS1 have the staggered headbolts or would they be uniform size bolts. Thanks.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Being a 2002 model engine:
You'll need the set that has the 3 different length head bolts in it
The info I have indicates that 3 different lengths were used up to engine number # VF00115501
Another indicator of the 3 different lengths is the rear of the cylinder heads are marked 1MA

Research I've done indicates:
The change from 3 different length bolts, to 2 different length boltss happened at the end of 2003, early into 2004
I have never found any info to confirm the exact month of the change

Last edited:

JEEPERS45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore. And April 2002 CV8.
Thanks Tonner, You are a champ. Will get the parts on the way... Engineparts seem to have the right gear, Are these guys ok or do you recommend someone else. Do you know where I can download an engine manual for the LS1.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
You can usually find the head bolts on Ebay at a reasonable price if you can wait for them to arrive
You may be able to find an engine manual online that you could download
I've got this manual and it has a lot better engine info than a Gregorys or a Haynes.....I bought it at Supercheap Auto

B7fZIxN.jpg

I presume you would be chasing up torque specs & sequences
This link may be useful to you as well:
https://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles/ls-engine-specs.html&title=LS+Chevy+Engine+Specifications

Last edited: