Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cv8 Monaro Cam upgrade what else should get done

Scroopy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF2 SSV Redline 6.2L M6
hi guys,
my Monaro has full exhaust system (4-2 extractors twin 2.5" cats and twin 2.5" exhaust) Rip shift and mafless OTR
now its time to get it sounding lumpy. got a quote from Hi Torque performance for a 232/234 cam + valve springs to suit, gaskets, seals, labour and tune
for $3300 im fine with that but I was wondering what else I should get done during the install? I defiantly want lifters (comp 850-16) and push rods done should I get double row timing chain? anything else?
also getting diff gears changed to 3.9's from aussie diffs $1100 including install, bearings and seals.
the car is my daily driver its only done 82,060k's
any advice would be nice
cheers

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
3300 seems a bit rich to me.

If the car wasn't my daily ip personally do everything myself...besides the tune.

Id also add a full twin 3" exhaust,
Have some work done on the heads
And get a cam to suit the ported heads....something to suit .600 lift int.
108 lsa

Scroopy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3300 seems a bit rich to me.

If the car wasn't my daily ip personally do everything myself...besides the tune.

Id also add a full twin 3" exhaust,
Have some work done on the heads
And get a cam to suit the ported heads....something to suit .600 lift int.
108 lsa

not really looking at another exhaust my friend has big extractor and twin 3" on her cammed ls3 and its so loud.
im more thinking along the lines of while things are off i'll replace them (push rods, timing chain, rockers etc)

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
not really looking at another exhaust my friend has big extractor and twin 3" on her cammed ls3 and its so loud.
im more thinking along the lines of while things are off i'll replace them (push rods, timing chain, rockers etc)
seems like you answered your own question then!!

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Agree i would do it my self bar the tune save some $$$$

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
hi guys,
my Monaro has full exhaust system (4-2 extractors twin 2.5" cats and twin 2.5" exhaust) Rip shift and mafless OTR
now its time to get it sounding lumpy. got a quote from Hi Torque performance for a 232/234 cam + valve springs to suit, gaskets, seals, labour and tune
for $3300 im fine with that but I was wondering what else I should get done during the install? I defiantly want lifters (comp 850-16) and push rods done should I get double row timing chain? anything else?
also getting diff gears changed to 3.9's from aussie diffs $1100 including install, bearings and seals.
any advice would be nice
cheers

1st of all I would check out CB's performance on the goldy, Cameron has a good rep, his work is at least a $1000 cheaper and hi-torque still tune the cars.
2nd, if you want lifters done that requires lifting the heads so new head bolts and gaskets will be needed. Why not get your heads worked on or at least decked a little. BTW go for LS7 lifters
3rd, With that cam and giving the cam powerband 3000-7000, in the LS1 rod bolts can fail around the 6800-7000rpm mark. It is an engine out job but is worth it if your want to give it a bit of poke.
4th, Also with that size cam its a bit of a dog at low revs and can surge a bit, so think hard about why you need such a big cam, there are plenty of smaller well mannered cams that will give the same power.
5th, Your clutch gonna go so you'll need a decent clutch. LS7 clutch and flywheel or Mcloed RXT will do the job

Scroopy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1st of all I would check out CB's performance on the goldy, Cameron has a good rep, his work is at least a $1000 cheaper and hi-torque still tune the cars.
2nd, if you want lifters done that requires lifting the heads so new head bolts and gaskets will be needed. Why not get your heads worked on or at least decked a little. BTW go for LS7 lifters
3rd, With that cam and giving the cam powerband 3000-7000, in the LS1 rod bolts can fail around the 6800-7000rpm mark. It is an engine out job but is worth it if your want to give it a bit of poke.
4th, Also with that size cam its a bit of a dog at low revs and can surge a bit, so think hard about why you need such a big cam, there are plenty of smaller well mannered cams that will give the same power.
5th, Your clutch gonna go so you'll need a decent clutch. LS7 clutch and flywheel or Mcloed RXT will do the job
thanks mate, i'll hit CB's up Monday. didn't even know they were around. ive heard a few 232/242 cam's on youtube and I like the sound. im not going for big power I just want something to sound great and turn heads, anyone have another comp cams spec I should look at?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
hi guys,
any advice would be nice
cheers

From personal (stupidly expensive) experience - 100% go lifters. I have had an OEM gm lifter let go with disastrous consequences and now the same with a spring. Whilst the front is off you may as well do the chain and 100% get a new oil pump (pressure relief valve spring sticking is a known problem)