Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CV8 Monaro cam upgrades + advice

Scroopy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF2 SSV Redline 6.2L M6
hi guys,
I've got a 04 CV8 Monaro Manual its already got 4 into 2 pacemaker extractors twin 2.5" cats with twin 2.5" cat back system
rip shift and a mafless OTR tune but I want to add in a camshaft.
got a quote from Hi Torque $3300 for 232/234 cam valve springs to suit, gaskets, seals, labour and tune. that's not bad but should I replace lifters, push rods, timing chain while its apart?
im thinking about getting comp cams 850-16 lifters and new push rods but any advice would be good
also getting my diff gears changed to 3.9's with new bearings and seals by Aussie Diffs $1100.
anyone out there throw me some advice this is my first V8 I had all this done to my ecotec VT and I loved it
the car is my daily and its done 82,060k's

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Timing chain set yes definitely lifters wouldn't hurt to replace them but will have to remove the heads to do so, factor in extra cost for labour and head gaskets pushrods will be fine

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
On a car with those kays shouldn't need lifters, but as vr304 said you'll need the heads lifted to replace the lifters.
So if you want to add new lifters I would go the whole hog and fit CNC'd heads as well.

Scroopy

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't have the money to fit cnc'd heads just wanted to replace things that may go bust so the car will go for another 10 years. I think im going to buy all the parts then get it installed together. cam, lifters, double row timing chain, valve springs, retainers, locks and seals, oil pump and push rods. budget is around $4000 but i'll buy the items over the next few months. still hooked on the comp cams 232/234 112lsa. cant wait to get it all done.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'm sure I posted this else where - lifters, valve springs, may as well do chain since it's apart and 100% oil pump as well. Use quality parts and the motor should be reliable from there.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Factor in the fact they may #### the sump seal when the drop the front of the sump to fit the new chain also get them to dial in the cam and advance it 2 degrees, in WA some places do the cam, springs, valve stem seals, rods, locks, retainers, new DR chain, new balancer bolt, oil, coolant, tune drive in drive out, 3500k. so QLD should be just as competitive?

Scroopy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Factor in the fact they may #### the sump seal when the drop the front of the sump to fit the new chain also get them to dial in the cam and advance it 2 degrees, in WA some places do the cam, springs, valve stem seals, rods, locks, retainers, new DR chain, new balancer bolt, oil, coolant, tune drive in drive out, 3500k. so QLD should be just as competitive?

cheapest ive been told about on the gold coast so far is $2700 that's cam, springs, gaskets, OTR, labour and tune.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
232 234 is a big cam for stock LS1 heads IMO, but yeah I'd do lifters etc at the same time, eliminate the risk that you change the cam, then down the track you spin a lifter, + might as well do oil pump, timing chain etc, the parts aren't that expensive, so might as well do it all at once.