Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CVU engine Prefix on a VQ Caprice

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Mine was SVU600??? March 91

WNTDVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato & Evo VII.
Dont get too excited guys, i was looking at a VQ with the SVU prefix and after some research (should be one here somewhere in a thread some of it) i discovered SVU is simply a prefix that is used on Holden factory replacement blocks for the VN-VS 5 litre engine.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The SVU Prefix only appears for a short run. SVU 597401 Approx to SVU616075.

Replacement blocks...Hmmmm no dont thing so. Else the SVU prefix would run for much longer than 3 years. Just about all of them found there way into VQ's. AND special order HSV's

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Mine had the original engine too.

WNTDVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato & Evo VII.
Actually, cars that received the replacement block that was stamped with 'S'VU received that block from the factory, in which case the engine number listed in the owners/service manual for that particular car would actually match that of the engine...

Here's one of the emails i have received in my quest to get to the bottom of this...

We write in regards to your query about the prefix "SVU".

We wish to advise the "S" added to the engine number symbolizes that the particular engine, has had a long or short engine replacement. The replacement would have been new and come from factory.

We trust this clarifies your request however should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to call on 1800 033 349 or write back

Yours sincerely,

Alan Wong
State Business Representative

I then confirmed that this actually meant that these engines would have come from factory with matching books, numbers etc...

So there we have it, finally confirmation to my suggestion.
I'll get back to them and find out about this 'CVU' prefix now.

Matt. :thumbsup:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Actually, cars that received the replacement block that was stamped with 'S'VU received that block from the factory, in which case the engine number listed in the owners/service manual for that particular car would actually match that of the engine...

Here's one of the emails i have received in my quest to get to the bottom of this...

We write in regards to your query about the prefix "SVU".

We wish to advise the "S" added to the engine number symbolizes that the particular engine, has had a long or short engine replacement. The replacement would have been new and come from factory.

We trust this clarifies your request however should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to call on 1800 033 349 or write back

Yours sincerely,

Alan Wong
State Business Representative

I then confirmed that this actually meant that these engines would have come from factory with matching books, numbers etc...

So there we have it, finally confirmation to my suggestion.
I'll get back to them and find out about this 'CVU' prefix now.

Matt. :thumbsup:

So they produced a heap of replacement engines or just added the "S" when a replacement engine was needed? Seems funny that they replaced lots of engines in a 2 year period.

If you can get an answer on the "C" prefix you'll be my hero:thumbsup:

S = Statesman
C = Caprice

Does look good. But there is no "official documentation" on this. - YET.

Keep digging:thumbsup:

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
so after the cars were built they took them back to the factory, pulled out all the old stuff and put in brand new 5ltr engines before people even bought them?