Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

D3V14NT's VP in the making

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
I bought this for $1000 about 8 months ago and has probably cost twice that again since then.

White 1993 VP Executive BT1 3.8L. It has the executive code in the VIN however it has a Berlina interior - dash badge and full electrics - and a berlina badge on the boot.

KMs: This cluster - 233 xxx, Previous Cluster - 282 xxx, Cluster before that - no idea

Engine: Stock

Transmission: Stock

Exhaust: 2.5" Cat Back - straight through muffler no resonator with a shiny tip on the end. Not the best sounding exhaust but can't complain too much for $100 brand spanking new.

Brakes: Stock

Suspension: Stock

Interior: Stock

Exterior: White Chevoit Wheels

At the moment the goal is just to replace everything thats broken, in a sense it's a bit of a project car because there is a lot that's broken.

What I've done so far:
  • Replaced Idler Pulley Twice. First one was too narrow and chewed two belts. Second one made a terrible noise.
  • Replaced the belt four times
  • New Alternator Regulator
  • Replaced the engine bay fuse box cover but it's broken again as the bottom of the fuse box is warped and it broke trying to get it off again
  • Replaced battery terminals
  • Replaced windshield washer motor
  • Replaced thermostat
  • Replaced water temp sensor (to gauge)
  • Replaced Instrument Cluster
  • Fitted new intake manifold gaskets twice. Over tightened it the first time so ended up having to do it again.
  • New plugs and leads
  • New air, oil and fuel filters
  • Thoroughly cleaned the intake manifold, throttle body and the elbow inbetween
  • Removed Bellmouth
  • Replaced Throttle Cable
  • New glovebox pin
  • New console ashtray and rear door ashtrays
  • Repaired both front side air vents
  • Replaced top and bottom radiator hoses
  • Replaced both transmission fluid hoses to radiator
  • New wiper blades
  • New power antenna but the mast broke in it :(
  • Amazingly I found the exact same set of wheels on a vn at a wreckers so I got myself a center cap to replace the one with no sticker on it, just haven't done it yet
  • Replaced front left wheel bearings
  • Replaced front brake pads
  • Replaced rear left hand brake shoes and retainer spring
  • New cat back exhaust, 2.5" straight through - wanted a dog leg muffler rather than straight through but couldn't get it at the time
  • 4x new tyres
  • New transmission mount
  • New odometer cog
  • Countless new interior globes
  • New left power mirror
  • New power mirror toggle switch thingy
  • Replaced the little square piece of carpet in the console
  • Unblocked air con drain pipe
  • Removed, washed and refitted carpet
  • Fixed an air vent vacuum leak
  • Replaced headlight globes
  • Replaced the tail lights
  • Replaced the timing chain and gears
  • Drilled out and replaced the bolt I sheared off in the block through the timing cover
  • Bought a dash mat
  • Replaced Oil Pressure Switch
  • Replaced MAP Sensor
  • Replaced Engine Bypass Coolant hose
  • Replaced front oil seal - the one the balancer sits in
  • Fitted Speedy Sleeve to the harmonic balancer - had a groove worn in the shaft.
  • Used shitloads of oil before I replaced that seal haha
  • Replaced rubber bung that was missing in the firewall
  • Replaced Exhaust manifold gaskets after noticing that 5 studs in total were finger tight (one was half unscrewed actually) and one cross-threaded stud
  • Replaced missing wheel nuts after rear left wheel fell off while driving at night (long story)
  • Replaced Handbrake lever assembly - pain in the ass of a job that one
  • Replaced cigarette lighter socket
  • Replaced a lot of fuses
  • Replaced both alternator bearings.

23-01-2010 More Repairs
  • New Oxygen Sensor
  • New Coolant Temp Sensor (To ECU)
  • New PCV Valve
  • New ECU (2nd Hand but tested and working)
  • New seat covers to hide the rips :D
  • New Speed Sensor
  • New clip for the cover under the steering wheel
  • New rubber grommets to plug those holes in the rear foot wells under the carpet

What I still have left to do:
  • Replace Catalytic Converter
  • Replace IAC
  • Fix central locking - it stopped working last time I took the dash apart and I still haven't figured out why
  • Fix the driver side window as it falls forward in its track, also need to replace the rubber thats on the inside of the rear track as its missing and the rattle drives me nuts
  • New mast for the power antenna
  • Rebuild/Replace Engine
  • Get a new button and handle for the handbrake lever, then I can tighten it up again.
  • Fix insanely hard bonnet release. Even with the bonnet already open this level is a nightmare to pull.
  • Replace bonnet release lever as it broke the plastic mounts off
  • Replace drivers side kick panel
  • Fix the cross-threaded exhaust manifold stud
  • Fix non working boot light
  • Fix non working boot opening button in glovebox
  • Buy a decent sound system.
  • Replace windshield - noticed a crack in it today coming up from the bottom, too long to repair :(
  • Fix up a few small rust spots, stone chips, scratches and some damage on the bumpers.
  • Give the car a damn good clean

So theres still a fair way to go to get it all sorted but I'm determined and I've certainly done quite a bit so far so may as well keep at it. I've attached a few photos of the old girl.

I'll keep this post updated as I go.

Attachments

• carpic01.jpg
    carpic01.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 890
  • carpic02.jpg
    carpic02.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 568
  • carpic03.jpg
    carpic03.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 553
  • carpic04.jpg
    carpic04.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
I like it mate, :)

Hope you keep with it!! :D

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Cheers mate, I've got a ways to go but after looking at the list of things I've done so far it doesn't seem too bad anymore :)

It really makes you realise how much time and effort you put into these things when you list all the little things you've done to the car.

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
Not long ago, I thought of ditchin the VP.. The problems it was having were becoming stressful and highly annoying.. But thanks to people on this forum.. I was able to push thru .. And, it runs like a dream now :D

So happy I stuck with it..

But, i will be watching yours tho.. I can see potential with this car :)
best thing with Vn-Vp's parts are everywhere..And usually is cheap :D

But looking at the list for what you've done.. It's truly amazing to see you are still going with it :)

Your nearly there champ :p

As for a lvl 3 cluster.. I wouldn't bother with that untill your happy with the car and how it runs.. ya dont wana make a biger issue..(Which im hoping i dont cause on mine..)

:)

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
WHITE CHEVOITS FTW!!!!

Looks identical to mine....bar the fact mines a VN :D

VNCalaisV8163.jpg

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
LOL!! wow its looks almost the same :p wow

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Not long ago, I thought of ditchin the VP.. The problems it was having were becoming stressful and highly annoying.. But thanks to people on this forum.. I was able to push thru .. And, it runs like a dream now :D

So happy I stuck with it..

But, i will be watching yours tho.. I can see potential with this car :)
best thing with Vn-Vp's parts are everywhere..And usually is cheap :D

But looking at the list for what you've done.. It's truly amazing to see you are still going with it :)

Your nearly there champ :p

As for a lvl 3 cluster.. I wouldn't bother with that untill your happy with the car and how it runs.. ya dont wana make a biger issue..(Which im hoping i dont cause on mine..)

:)

Thanks mate, my future plans are slowly coming together in my head but one step at a time ey.

Level 3 Cluster is definitely on my list of future mods, but I'm thinking of doing a vr-vs dash conversion first and then using a vr-vs cluster and loom. I also want to do a climate control conversion so it'd make life so much easier to do the whole lot at once.

My main reason for changing the dash is because whoever fitted the dash that's currently in the car over-tightened just about everything and there are cracks and snapped off bits everywhere. Makes it hard to line it all up nicely when you can only have about half the screw holes available to use. I like the look of the vr/vs dashs so I'd be interested to try fitting one of them in. If prices on eBay are anything to go by they aren't too expensive either.

WHITE CHEVOITS FTW!!!!

Looks identical to mine....bar the fact mines a VN :D

Haha they aren't a bad wheel thats for sure, my rear left has a few gauges taken out of it on the inside from when it fell off but other than that they are still in pretty good nick. Just gotta replace that center cap, figure I'll do it at the same time as the wheel bearing though.

Nice looking VN mate, very tidy. :thumbsup:

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
Haha they aren't a bad wheel thats for sure, my rear left has a few gauges taken out of it on the inside from when it fell off but other than that they are still in pretty good nick. Just gotta replace that center cap, figure I'll do it at the same time as the wheel bearing though.

Nice looking VN mate, very tidy. :thumbsup:

At first I hated them, but ive grown to like the old Chevoits lol!

Cheers mate, yours is very tidy too!

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Well spent the day working on the car again and have made some more progess. New ECU, Coolant Temp Sensor, Oxy Sensor, Speed Sensor and PCV Valve fitted. Has made a huge improvment to the engine.

Oxy Sensor was easily the biggest cause of the troubles, pulled it out to discover the guts of the sensor were floating around in the steel cover in several pieces, not the best for fuel efficiency I imagine :D Not a fan of taking these damn sensors out either. I'm missing a nice bit of skin off the back of my hand from trying to get the bastard off.

I'm still convinced my Cat is stuffed though so thats the next item getting replaced. Going for a 2.5" 200CPSI cat with the steel guts & fitted for $210. Wanted to get a flanged cat so I could bolt it on myself but thats becoming more of a hassle than its worth so just going for a magnaflow weld on type.

After that is a new 65mm throttle body with new IAC and TPS. Not expecting wonders from the 65mm but a little more responsiveness would be nice. More to the point though im suss on my IAC as I think its a bit iffy.

Also fitted some black velour seat covers to hide the ugly rips and tears in the seats. They are pretty good as far as seat covers go and are quite comfy. New clip to hold the cover up under the steering wheel and new rubber grommets for the holes in the rear foot wells as they were missing.

Fitted a new (2nd hand) speed sensor today. Its nice to have a working speedo again.

Also replaced both handbrake retainer springs so now just need to sort out a new handle an button and I'll have a handbrake again :D

Got the window rubbers that go in the window tracks for the front windows, just gotta find time to fit them, will have a look at adjusting the dodgy driver window while im at it.

Also need to track myself down a new air con button.

Last edited:

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
Your local wreckers is heaven for you! its got everything :)

Your aircon button, hit up the wreckers for that..there are TONS..Dont buy em off ebay..not worth it :)

Great to see you looking after the VP tho :D

NEED MORE PICCIES !! :D :D :D