Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DAKSTERS VS Berlina

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I fixed the seatbelts on the Acclaim too. They werent retracting and I had planned to use the ones from the Berlina to get it RWC and just buy some brand new ones for the Berlina later. It turns out not to be necessary.

I took the plastic trim off from over the front drivers seatbelt, and tried the seatbelt directly out of the spool. It retracted rapidly and easily, so I figured the mechanism must be ok. Its only when it meets the resistance of the buckle it feeds through that it seems to stick.

I got a bucket of water and dishwashing liquid, and one of those green scotchbrite pads, and gave the seatbelt webbing a thorough clean. Then I tried the seatbelt and it had improved, but was still not retracting well enough. When it was totally dry, I tried it again and it had improved a little more.

Then I sprayed it with silicone spray. Tried it again, while the spray was still damp, and it was much better. Not great, but probably good enough for RWC, so I let it be.
Next morning I came out and tried it, and with the silicone spray now totally dry, the seatbelt works like brand new.

Problem solvered boss.

St3alth187

More time than money
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8L Manual
Kitchen is coming up a treat !
Going to look real clean with doors and a squirt of urethane ;)
That oak is a gorgeous piece of timber.

A nice slab of redgum would have suited well too :) A lot harder to work with though..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Kitchen is coming up a treat !
Going to look real clean with doors and a squirt of urethane ;)
That oak is a gorgeous piece of timber.

A nice slab of redgum would have suited well too :) A lot harder to work with though..

And a lot more expensive lol.. real wood aint cheap :) This is supposedly 'white russian oak', a fleabay special imported from Germany. Its 4 grands worth of wood, would have been more like 7 grand in redgum so it will have to do..

Redgum would have looked awesome too, but I am trying to enlarge the kitchen, and the darker colour of the redgum would have made it appear smaller. The light colours make the room look bigger.

The surface on the sink benchtop and the backboard behind the stove cupboard have already been laquered, the whole kitchen should come up about that colour, except for the doors. They are pine, so they will come up a bit blonder.

Thanks for appreciating it, I am so proud of it. Anyone can paint a car lol... this will be the nicest thing I have ever made. Its gone from a pokey little 70s chipboard kitchen with green benchtops to a large, modern design.

Soooo looking forward to the first meal to come out of that awesome double oven....

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
More kitchen photos... welcome to Just Commodores and Kitchens ;)

The last of the stove cabinet has been made, and everything glued and dowelled together. Some of the wood has been laquered, those bits which would be hard to get at later. Those dark doors down the end are the pantry, that will be deepened next and it will get the lighter colour pine doors too. I'll be having 8 doors instead of 4 though, each door will become 2 shorter doors instead of one long one.

attachment.php

Here you can clearly see the difference between the bare wood and the laquered wood, where some parts have been laquered and some havent. There is no stain, its just a water based polyurethane. I've added some handles to the few doors and drawers that I've fitted so far, but of course they still need laquer yet so the handles will have to come off again. The hinges are those spring loaded canti-levered things, so no latches are necessary.

attachment.php

The stove cabinet. The big gap in the backboard is for the stainless steel flue which will come up the back of the cooktop, venting the stove cavity and doubling as a splashback. Obviously I havent cut the hole in the benchtop for that yet, I am waiting for the flue to be delivered so I can double check the size.

The edges of the benchtop still need rolling and there is plenty of urethane needed (and doors..) but its actually starting to look like a kitchen. The stove and cooktop are now wired up but I wont use them until I seal the benchtop, to avoid staining.

The big gouge in the wall is where I am relocating that double power point to the right hand end of the wall, below where the light and fan switches will also go. The cabling isnt long enough sadly, so I have to buy some more cable to extend it to where I want it to go.

attachment.php

Last edited:

St3alth187

More time than money
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8L Manual
would have been more like 7 grand in redgum so it will have to do..
Lol too true, as i was doing my year 12 timber furnishings course we did work experience in the industry. The place i worked at was making a 12 seater dining table out of a single slab of redgum, nearly 2 inches thick ! Said it was about 10k worth of timber ! Was absolutely amazing timber though.

The polyurethane over the top is miles better ! Looks a treat mate !
Cant wait to see it all lacquered up and the pantry doors finished !

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The Acclaim needs new tyres for RWC. I was going to stick some chinese cheapies on it, but I found these on fleabay, seller was half an hours drive away. Silver VZ steelies and hubcaps, should look better than the old black wheels and no hubcaps.

attachment.php

Bridgestone Turanza ER30 tyres a definite step up too, these look close to new, and all four hubcaps look like they just came out of a box. Absolutely as new condition.

attachment.php

$200 the lot :) Beats the crap out of $320 (fitted) for a set of chinese cheapies...!!

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Some more kitchen stuff. Pulled the cupboard out and dropped the flue into place but I havent secured it yet. The curves on the top of the timber uprights are just to provide a space for the power cable to come along the wall.

It should provide some pretty good airflow - there are also 16 20mm holes drilled in the base for intake air. There is a cross oven ventilation system as well, with 70mm between the cooktop and oven intaking from the front and venting from the flue. Theres a flat piece of stainless for the back of the flue too, I will spot weld it into place after I have secured the rest of it.

attachment.php

Havent rolled the edges of the benchtop yet but there are a couple coats of urethane over it anyway, just to protect it from staining. Gives you an idea of colour I guess, but the final finish after sanding it back will be the same as the sink cupboard.

attachment.php

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Good find. I actually think they may be interceptors?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The Acclaim needs new tyres for RWC. I was going to stick some chinese cheapies on it, but I found these on fleabay, seller was half an hours drive away. Silver VZ steelies and hubcaps, should look better than the old black wheels and no hubcaps.

attachment.php

Bridgestone Turanza E30 tyres a definite step up too, these look close to new, and all four hubcaps look like they just came out of a box. Absolutely as new condition.

attachment.php

$200 the lot :) Beats the crap out of $320 (fitted) for a set of chinese cheapies...!!
Nice pickup.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Good find. I actually think they may be interceptors?

Yeah he advertised them as pursuits.. i wouldnt know, to me they are all just steelies lol

Tyres are 225/60/15 Bridgestone Turanza ER30's, all 90%+ tread. I've never used them before but searches come up with nothing but good about em.

He said he bought an ex govt car and immediately put some 18s on it. Even the wheels are pretty much unmarked. I'm pretty pleased, saved some bucks and got a better option at the same time :)

attachment.php

Last edited: