Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damage to my calais. How much and what needs to be done?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Stuffed up big time today. I'm not gonna go into detail what happened but here are the photos.

I got three quotes this arvo ranging from $890 up to $1200. The cheaper place gave me a written detailed quote and said they could pull it out and straighten it and repaint. The more expensive two said the front quarter panel needs to come off. Seats and carpet needs to come out, passenge doors need to be removed, cut the damaged sill out and weld a new one in. The more expensive two were only verbal quotes.

The passenger door is fine. It still sits flush and no scratches. Inside the passenger door is unscaved also. The problem is what you can see in the photos.

Any suggestions? I live in the blacktown area of sydney so if you can recommend some qualified repairers. By the way my insurance excess is $400. But I'll lose my 60% no claim bonus.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 289
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 263

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
all depends, what price are you prepared to pay? which do you think will give you a professional job?

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I reckon if you fix or replace the door you won't even be able to see anything else, judging by the pics.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
VLishes said:
I reckon if you fix or replace the door you won't even be able to see anything else, judging by the pics.

the door dosnt appear to be damaged just the sill panel

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
andyman said:
the door dosnt appear to be damaged just the sill panel

sorry I ment the panel, not the door.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
as far as i knew the sill panel could not be just unbolted?

would need to be cut and a new one welded in, i thought?

you could do it cheap, remove the carpet and passanger seats yourself, go to a body shop and ask them to cut and weld in a new one for you

then file/sand down nicely yourself

go to another body shop and ask them to spray it up!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Ouch thats nasty !

Hmmm...to get the sill replaced with a new panel would be the way to go if you're gonna keep the car and hand it down to your grand kids... but realistically you'd probably may be better off finacially by getting them to braze weld some washers along the dent and getting them to slide hammer it out the best they can. Then cover it over with SS skirts !!!
If they do any welding of any sort, be it welding a new sill on or welding on washers to pull the dent out, make sure that where they weld along seems etc...that they treat the insides of the panel with fishoil as the heat from welding will affect the factory rust prevention coating and it will start to corrode from inside out.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Looks like some 1 juuuuuumped it!!!!

Off a gutter!!!