Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damage to Radiator Cap Mounting surface VZ V6

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
script>
Hey guys,

So the other night we noticed coolant coming out near the driver side wheel, filled with water and it utterly pissed out. Did some reading here and thought maybe Res tank.

Seems to be the case as today when I gently filled it, it came out again just as before. I went to remove the radiator cap and it had corroded itself in place. The actual cap lid ended up snapping off the housing and I had to fart ass around getting it out which I eventually did. However in doing so I did the below damage even though I was trying to be as gentle as I could.

Could people pls advise if this is minor, reparable to am I having to fork out for a new water intake part?.

20190526-102949.jpg

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
With you saying The Radiator Cap was that bad,
I would bite the bullet and get a replacement radiator, either a new one [eBay approx. $90 with a warranty]
or go to a wrecker and get a unknown condition one for $60 with no warranty.
[Prices may vary from state to state]
And a Radiator Cap.
While your there, pickup a Radiator reservoir, as you will be able to see the condition being they are only plastic.
Also if it was that bad, replace the Heater Tap, as that will be most like the next weakest point.
Flush the system out, and install the Reservoir and Radiator, and THE CORRECT new coolant,
Do it once, and do it properly.
Murphy's Law, because as sure as eggs, if its not done properly,
it will let you down at the most inconvenient time.
Then you will look back and say, "Why Didn't I Do That Properly Last Time"

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Warning, this below could be BS.
I had my VZ radiator cap replaced/fitted by Holden ($26) but it did not stop a leak. They then told me that the original radiator cap was obsolete and could not be replaced. It needed a new filler neck ($113) to match the cap. Make sure the replacement cap is the correct one.
The photo does not look encouraging.
But, as I said, this could be a case of BS and upselling.

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
Thanks for the replies... just my fkn luck honestly.
Am hoping the res leak was just the overflow hole cos the rad is full and same with the res.
Gonna try a new cap from Repco and hope for the best but feeling sketchy about that damage. Might have to put a bit of gasket maker around it until I can buy a new filler neck.

Always something isn't it... :(

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
On a side note, could someone pls recommend a safe lube I can use for the new cap?, could like to avoid the issue of it corroding inplace again if possible. I do have some tap grease from when I did my bathroom taps but I doubt it would be safe for a coolant environment?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
if you use a sealant on the cap it may make it hard to undo get the new cap and screw it on and see what happens and most of the leaking issues are cause by o rings perishing

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
On a side note, could someone pls recommend a safe lube I can use for the new cap?, could like to avoid the issue of it corroding inplace again if possible. I do have some tap grease from when I did my bathroom taps but I doubt it would be safe for a coolant environment?
Tap grease will be fine as it is made for o rings.
A bit of silicone spray does the same job.
On another note you say the fluid poured out on drivers side but the fill bottle for vz radiator is on passanger side.
Are you sure you are not filling the washer bottle ??

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
Tap grease will be fine as it is made for o rings.
A bit of silicone spray does the same job.
On another note you say the fluid poured out on drivers side but the fill bottle for vz radiator is on passanger side.
Are you sure you are not filling the washer bottle ??

Hi mate, Cheers for the advice RE: tap grease, one less thing to worry about. Yeah, I screwed up, I think it was cos fluid was running along the metal under the rads at the time and I was stressing out so looked like it was from the driver side. But I confirmed this morning its passenger/reservoir area. I had my mech camera out and put water in and it was in the res area. Getting a new cap tomorrow which I have to do either way since I utterly destroyed the one in there getting the bastard out.