Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damage to Radiator Cap Mounting surface VZ V6

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
if you use a sealant on the cap it may make it hard to undo get the new cap and screw it on and see what happens and most of the leaking issues are cause by o rings perishing

I was gonna try to "fill it" with some gasket maker and let it cook off first before fitting the cap. I was thinking I could smear some ATV or similar over it and kinda shape it with a rag and small hard straight edge. In theory, at least in my head it should hold and set off and allow the cap to seal?. Never done it before but I suppose the other option is plastic steel stuff. Pretty sure a mechanic did it once to my old car with the welsh/frieze plug that gave way, he scored the surface accidentally and I think rubbed in ATV or plastic steel and let it set off before re-fitting the new plug.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Water into it I noticed by O/P.
Is it just water in there or correct coolant?
Coolant helps stop corrosion, water does not, just advances corrosion.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I was gonna try to "fill it" with some gasket maker and let it cook off first before fitting the cap. I was thinking I could smear some ATV or similar over it and kinda shape it with a rag and small hard straight edge. In theory, at least in my head it should hold and set off and allow the cap to seal?. Never done it before but I suppose the other option is plastic steel stuff. Pretty sure a mechanic did it once to my old car with the welsh/frieze plug that gave way, he scored the surface accidentally and I think rubbed in ATV or plastic steel and let it set off before re-fitting the new plug.

You won't need to repair it as the section you damaged does nothing.
The correct cap for an 07 vz is probably the o ring type which seals down inside the alloy housing.
The cap does not even need to be tight.
Mine is loose all the time.

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
You won't need to repair it as the section you damaged does nothing.
The correct cap for an 07 vz is probably the o ring type which seals down inside the alloy housing.
The cap does not even need to be tight.
Mine is loose all the time.

Thanks mate, it's a '06 build year but the spring type cap (spring came flying out when I smashed the top part up lol) but it did have 1 or 2 O-rings. I hope that was the issue.. really want want a new rad :(

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks mate, it's a '06 build year but the spring type cap (spring came flying out when I smashed the top part up lol) but it did have 1 or 2 O-rings. I hope that was the issue.. really want want a new rad :(
Yea, even the seal type just seal down onto the inner seat.
Clean the seat up with a bit of emery cloth, or a scotch pad you use for cleaning dishes etc.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

All this stuff will help keep the cap in place, which means smashing the cap off again and replacing it....

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
All this stuff will help keep the cap in place, which means smashing the cap off again and replacing it....
Yeah would rather not a repeat episode of destroying a cap again..

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Use your vin number to get the correct cap, preferably from a holden dealer.

Whichever type it is, just screw it down till it locks then back off half a fly poo.

Remove/Check it from time to time.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The filler neck isn’t a big deal to change. Don’t think it will be a hassle in this case, leave it. I’d be looking at why the corrosion even happened and as has been mentioned, the correct coolant is essential. Air needs to be bled out completely from the system. There were dodgy caps and replacing them with newer versions will be the go.

If you want to do something with the seal, soak it in Aerospace 303 over night, wipe clean and instal on the car. It will condition the seal.

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
The filler neck isn’t a big deal to change. Don’t think it will be a hassle in this case, leave it. I’d be looking at why the corrosion even happened and as has been mentioned, the correct coolant is essential. Air needs to be bled out completely from the system. There were dodgy caps and replacing them with newer versions will be the go.

If you want to do something with the seal, soak it in Aerospace 303 over night, wipe clean and instal on the car. It will condition the seal.

I need to actually read what I write.. it wasn't corrosion in the classic sense, the coolant was/is still nice and green but more similar to like the corrosion on a battery terminal. I read somewhere that they can gum up and stick and I think this is what might've happened. Hopefully, once I get the new cap all will be good as it didn't over-heat when we drove it home about 15km, in fact, temp gauge didn't even move from normal. I appreciate all the replies.

Last edited: