Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damage to Radiator Cap Mounting surface VZ V6

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I thought Alloytechs used RED coolant?
Why is green in it that it seems will corode the Aloytech system ?

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
I thought Alloytechs used RED coolant?
Why is green in it that it seems will corode the Aloytech system ?

Dunno, is what was in it when we got the car, doesn't matter anymore now anyway. Got the new cap, all good there. Went for a drive to get it to temp, all good again went up to the first large line about 1/3 of the temp gauge and didn't move. Parked on the road nice and flat and drip, drip... reservoir sides where dry and no drips, coming from somewhere above that drain tap thing on the bottom left side. So yeah... methinks it's cracked a little bit as I've read is a common issue :( so new radiator.. yay..... car is 255k old so it's if the original then eh I suppose that's good. will give it a thorough flush out and replace coolant.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
With the coolant, and given today's technology, etc is there really any difference?. I'm assuming chemically speaking they should be much and much the same just different color?. The reason I ask is I prefer green cos it's the only green fluid in a car. Easy to tell whats leaking. See a red/pink patch on the floor and it could be tranny fluid.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Various colour coolants are designed for various vehicles and the way they are built.
No one it telling you what to use except the vehicle manufacturers.
I’m sure they know best for longevity of their product to give the buyer the best service.

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
Various colour coolants are designed for various vehicles and the way they are built.
No one it telling you what to use except the vehicle manufacturers.
I’m sure they know best for longevity of their product to give the buyer the best service.

All g :) Was just curious.

PIgdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SVZ Wagon
Necro'd thread but I want too, only because I have another issue (unrelated) - but wanted to give closure to this issue. The radiator cracked/split between the ally housing and plastic side tank (Funnily enough a common issue I found from this forum) I replaced the radiator and upper/lower hoses (from Repco) and it's been great. So hopefully if someone is facing a similar situation they can see this, also in my OP about the filler neck damage - yeah there's been no issue. I installed a new cap with some tap grease and leave it a 1/4 turn undone. Has been that way since my OP and has been fine, I didn't try to fill the gouges as honestly, they are at best 2mm deep. Everything in that regard has been fine.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Dry lube stick is always a good option.