Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damaged engine drive belt

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
spare parts sale people these days have no idea , i can go into repco and ask for a rocker cover gasket for a holden straight 6 red motor , then only to be asked what year and model of car, what engine size ect ect
i know there only kids but years ago they were older guys with trade experience, and knew what was what
and would know straight away what you wanted and give you the right part and other stuff you might need and advice on the job
how things have changed

Get that all the time too....I even ask for Valiant parts and the knobs start looking under "Holden".....I have even had them order in Commodore parts for my Valiant....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Whats the trick with putting one of these on. I imagine you route it around but what is the easier pulley to slip it on last?
I looked at it and tensioner gives me just enough movement to slip the old one off the water pump or idler pulley. It seems it will be very hard to put the new one one with so little give in the tensioner pulley

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Whats the trick with putting one of these on. I imagine you route it around but what is the easier pulley to slip it on last?
I looked at it and tensioner gives me just enough movement to slip the old one off the water pump or idler pulley. It seems it will be very hard to put the new one one with so little give in the tensioner pulley
Slide it over the water pump. No ribs to climb the belt over.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
spare parts sale people these days have no idea , i can go into repco and ask for a rocker cover gasket for a holden straight 6 red motor , then only to be asked what year and model of car, what engine size ect ect
i know there only kids but years ago they were older guys with trade experience, and knew what was what
and would know straight away what you wanted and give you the right part and other stuff you might need and advice on the job
how things have changed
Lol. The 202 was last used in a Holden car over 30 years ago. As if it's realistic to expect every person in every store to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every motor ever put into a vehicle in Australia.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
Lol. The 202 was last used in a Holden car over 30 years ago. As if it's realistic to expect every person in every store to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every motor ever put into a vehicle in Australia.

would you find it realistic to be asked what make and model when simply asking for 3/4 heater hose clamps lol made me laugh too:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
would you find it realistic to be asked what make and model when simply asking for 3/4 heater hose clamps lol made me laugh too:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A hose clamp has exactly what to do with your first point about them asking what vehicle a red motor went into?

And as far as what they asked you when you asked for a hose clamp, i have no way of knowing what the conversation went like for them to feel the need to qualify what make and model it was. It's possible you didnt make yourself clear that you just wanted a hose clamp and they may have thought you wanted the heater hose (there's no need to specify you want a 3/4 heater hose clamp, you can use the clamp elsewhere, it's universal) as well.

Point still stands, it's ridiculous in 2018 to walk into a generic parts store and expect them to instantly know that when you say you have a "red" straight 6 Holden Motor, what you're talking about.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Most people at parts stores are taught to look up part numbers via the vehicle license plate, fairly much anything else and they are lost as most seem to have little real understanding of what the actual parts are/do etc.

I use parts on cars that are not original to that vehicle as most people do when modifying cars, it's a real head **** trying to explain what you want when all they know is the vehicle registration number search function.

Back in the day most parts guys were ex mechanics or people who had been in the trade for decades, these days they take joe blogs off the street with no actual experience which is fine if they taught them some basics but all they do now is the registration search and pray....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
....Back in the day most parts guys were ex mechanics or people who had been in the trade for decades, these days they take joe blogs off the street with no actual experience which is fine if they taught them some basics but all they do now is the registration search and pray....
These days it’s likley they are also rather young and on minimum wage whereas back in the day, the older knowledgeable blokes were payed for their skills.

We are currently in a transient and soon we’ll be speaking to some AI-bot via the web which has been trained by the same people who can only do those rego part lookups :oops:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Probably, some parts I already buy online and get delivered, especially when it's free delivery and it saves a frustrating trip through traffic to my suppliers store.