Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DAMMIT! Coolant all over the place!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I've been driving all morning, but there was no hard driving involved . . . this is my "fuel economy" tank . . .

So I was being very careful with the right foot, and just as I'm pulling into the carpark back home I was rewarded with the smell of coolant. 'Oh no,' I thought, parked and popped the bonnet. Sure enough, coolant spray was EVERYWHERE. Looks like it sprayed from the cap of the coolant tank itself.

What I want to know is WHY? Could it be because a blockage developed somewhere? Or that the new radiator isn't as deep (front to rear) as the old one? (although Repco sold it as a VN V6 radiator . . . ) Or maybe it's because I didn't dilute the coolant concentrate enough and it was too thick or something??

The car's never done this to me before, so why would it start now? Is there anything specific I should check?

Any information appreciated . . .

Cheers
Sammy B

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
ide say get a pressure check. Im having radiator probs at the moment as well.. lol.. Could be that you overfilled the tank as well.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
How much was the tank filled? If you fill it to much, once the water heats up and expends/vapourises you can put the cap and get it everywhere.
AirStrike :air:

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
presuse check the system champ, prob find the thermisate isnt opening up enough, as a result the water is heating up quicker than normaly, pressure builds up somewhere, and has to go somewhere, usualy sprayso ut the top of the filler bottle cap if it's a 1, or if it's a 2 it will spray up threw the filler bottle return line. if it's comming out of the radiator just check all hoses are actualy tight and sitting right, if they arnt it will squirt out the side or something.

cheers
garth

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
What's involved in a pressure check?

The tank was filled to a bit above the join - my Gregory's manual pointed out that for the Series 1 the cold level was revised to about 25mm above that join, but I wasn't that brave . . .

1989 V6 = Series 1

vn88calais

Perth Representative
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY Commodore 2002
could be the Timing Cover, thats wat mine was wen i saw steam comming from under the bonnet one night, popped hood and everything was saturated! so yer timing cover is $500 from Coventry's in Western Aust, from Super Cheap its $484....but if u know someone who works there they will get it cheaper for u, i work for SuperCheap so i got mine for $363...big job as the mechanics will need to pull the whole engine out and take off ur fan belt and pulley etc.

but then again i was giving my car a nail on the way home that night :S hehe...

all the best!!

cheers, Todd

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
fazz1977 said:
I'd replace the cap. Those are pressure caps on the S1 bottle. Very common issue.

^^^Totally agreed. As for it possibly being too concentrated (the coolant), you dont need to mix the coolant, you can just put it straight in if you like but it just works out more expensive lol.