Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Damn bloody car just clicks when I turn ignition... ..

P

Pauldw500

Randomly started giving 1 click when ignition is turned in last day or so, but would turn over with a switch off and on. Today it was more clicks than starting then it just clicked.

Checked battery...

Screenshot_20220113-203355_Motion photo viewer.jpg

Hmmm....lol

I have a good battery I use in my workshop and it came from a Commodore wreckers so put that in.

Just clicked still...

Charged it for 2hrs which charger said 90% done...

Just clicked still...

Old battery and new battery with heavy duty jump leads, AND charger connected...

Just clicked still...

Sat there for prob 10 mins randomly trying and eventually it turned over and started.

Never does seem to turn over fast but I'm used to 4 cylinders, prob will go slower turning 8 hey... I dunno... but it ALWAYS started...

So what do we think guys?

Can't be battery so starter maybe?

H

harrop.senator

Check the voltage drop while turning it over. May be degraded wiring I've had it with the older models where I've ran an inline relay on the trigger wire due to voltage drop.

If it's seeing all the power at the starter. It's the starter.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
usually if its just clicking it dosnt have enough power to the starter so the solenoid just clicks in, or the starter is one way out so its a bit hard with the LS but whilst its clicking (key on start) if u can tap the starter with something metal if the brushes are gone it will jolt them and then crank over so starter issue, but as mentioned try the voltage first its easier

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Why does it look like your battery has been in a snowstorm?
My starter did the same thing last week. Just one click, at the worst possible time... Lucky it fired second go. It's been doing that randomly for 4 or 5 years and I don't know when it will actually stop..

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Time for a New Battery,
Possibly a new Alternator also.

P

Pauldw500

So started car 3 times today as, not needex to use it. All 3 times started so maybe I'll leave as is for now. My multimeter died but have just got a new one. So I'll put it across the battery and see what voltage drop when cranking yeah?

Well gonna go do it anyway...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I'll put it across the battery and see what voltage drop when cranking yeah?
And turn the lights on Hi Beam before crank, I think mine stay on when I crank if they are already on.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If you’ve got a good battery in it then it probably the starter motor that’s on the way out. I had to replace the starter motor in the VE SV6 a few months ago.

It was hit and miss starting like yours is now. I’d only just replaced the battery about 6 months prior so I knew it was all good. Replaced the starter motor and no more starting issues.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, there wasn't a huge drop in that battery voltage. x2 starter motor. See if you can get an OEX from Ashdown Ingram. I and a few others have used these with good long-term results.