Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dangerous pillars

Wabbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 calais
For some time I have been concered about the vision or the lack of it around the front pillars on my Caprice I had thought it was just me being pedantic, but to day I almost came to grief as a result of this major design error. I live in a semi rural area one of the roads I traverse has an intersection at 45 degrees I am generally quite cautious and not had an accident in 40 years of driving, pulled up at the intersection and looked left and right, and came almost to a halt to ensure no traffic, which there was none and proceeded, to my utter surprise my wife sitting next to me screamed. I stopped instantly fortunately, to my horror to have a 4x4 speed across my bow. I reasoned the car was at the same angle as the pillar and had been hidden completly as it approaced. Love the car but this problem is a worry regarding future ownership.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yep.....need to look around the pillar.

Depending on angle and distnce I have had busees hiding behind them.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's one of those things you either learn to live with and adjust your visual checking system or move onto a different vehicle. There were lots of complaints about it in the early days of the VE release but it's not something you hear about much these days.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
For some time I have been concered about the vision or the lack of it around the front pillars on my Caprice I had thought it was just me being pedantic, but to day I almost came to grief as a result of this major design error. I live in a semi rural area one of the roads I traverse has an intersection at 45 degrees I am generally quite cautious and not had an accident in 40 years of driving, pulled up at the intersection and looked left and right, and came almost to a halt to ensure no traffic, which there was none and proceeded, to my utter surprise my wife sitting next to me screamed. I stopped instantly fortunately, to my horror to have a 4x4 speed across my bow. I reasoned the car was at the same angle as the pillar and had been hidden completly as it approaced. Love the car but this problem is a worry regarding future ownership.
You'd think such passive safety like good vision of the roads ahead and to the side would be a high priority and addressed by some ADR but it seems not. Such "minor" concerns are trumped by prioritising the passenger compartment streangth over trivial things like being able to see well... :(

Even things like glare from internal and external componentry used to be covered by an ADR but those rules were dropped when that specific ADR was junked... Now, in sunny Aus, i'm often annoyed by excessive glare from the chrome gear knob and other cabin "bling"...

Sadly all cars suffer such A-pillar vision and other issues to a various degreed. Some cars like the commodore are worse than others. It's a skewed prioritisation of active safety over passive safety design and rewarded by ANCAP test methods and point scoring...

If your interested in forum members views on this vision issue, see these threads

I've never been one to ascribe the problem to the driver, because he's not behaving like a bobbing head doll while behind the wheel, so if it bothers you and you think its a safety issue then lodge a complaint through DOTARS and/or ACCC.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
A pillar is thick to improve occupant safety. Trade off is vision. Get used to moving your head a few degrees its not hard. I have a 2013 corolla work car and they are just as as wide.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
VE is thick.
I’m still very careful after 11 years.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yep. I've had Harley's, cars, and even a semi trailer hide behind the pillars of my VE. I wish they were smaller but you can't do much about it now. You get used to it, just be extra careful when merging and approaching intersections.
A mate tells me he had a Toyota 86 that had even worse vision which was the reason he sold it.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
T section turning right the car was hidden behind the pillar for a split second.
I`m glad I didn`t take off fast.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's not just a VE, we have 2 Mercs and I have to move to see around the A pillars, especially at roundabouts. My Range Rover has chopstick sized A pillars so that's not a problem. Used to have a Prado with the same issue.

bazz61

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII sports wagon 2011
Yep have to look around pillar have had close calls , the Sports Wagon is bad for blind spots , side mirrors are useless .
GF Merc is bad for piillar blind spot .