Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DANGEROUS problem with Power Steering/Wheel not turning , skips, thuds

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Sounds like ball joints or tie rods and ends are stuffed and have major play or they're bent (would be super obvious to the eye).

Either way, you're not going to be able to fix it though a forum thread, getting people to check steering wheel positions for you isn't going to achieve much (what are you going to do with this information?). If you have no idea what's going on you'll need to take it somewhere, there is only so far a forum can help if you don't have the technical ability.

Also, replace your fan belt, squealing is a sign it's dieing and they're cheap.

Stelya

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega gone SS
I have hit a curb with right wheel month ago but it was all fine till yesterday.
Again I was driving it whole day without any problems or noise ...parked...and on next entry it was like this ...BROKEN.
How come it happens like this and not gradually? Thats the thing that makes me think it maybe something fixable but what do I know.

Of course Im not driving it on the road , and will take it to the shop when I have some spare cash , so this is my last option...brainstorming

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I have hit a curb with right wheel month ago .................

Ahhh. There is always that little bit of info that comes out after a while, which may have been useful.
Mugs opinion ….. you have broken/bent something. Could be big, could be small, maybe round or long.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
How come it happens like this and not gradually? Thats the thing that makes me think it maybe something fixable but what do I know.

Of course it's fixable, just not in the way you want. Whatever is bent probably got weak when you hit the curb but had enough integrity to stay aligned, and then the part has fatigued from driving for the last month and then just gave way.

At this stage bent strut, lower control arm, castor rod, k-frame, tie rods/ends are all possibilities.

Stelya

Reaction score
Members Ride
went to a car shop 4 a opinion and they say wheel rack is out of place (just by listening to it lol) ...havent jacked it up because I foolishly said I had no money today lol.
I guess we will know tomorrow.
BTW what is engine strut? He said that maybe fucked too as I was driving the car for a bit before realizing it was too dangerous :)

Stelya

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hope its not as I got some really nice low red ones that came with the car...:(

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A couple of your, or your mechanics, terms have got me puzzled.
Wheel rack ? (They are out front of Bob Jane TMart, with wheels in them) ……………… Wheel alignment. Steering rack.
Engine strut ? The suspension strut is the shock absorber bit between the wheel and the top of the inner mudguard. Engine mount is what holds the engine to the chassis.
I know they speak a different language in Cabramatta, but I think you should get them to clarify what bits they are on about.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'd start by looking at the bolts that hold the steering rack to the K-frame, to see if it is actually bolted into place and not broken a bolt.

Check the universal joint, that connects the steering shaft to the steering rack to see if that is stuffed.

The steering rack maybe on its way out.

I can't see other suspension components, that have been mentioned being stuffed, causing this issue, nor others, BUT it is a possibility they might be....I'd be checking the first 3 items first, before proceeding any further....Oh and with that problem you are suffering, I'd be waiting until you have the cash, and getting it towed to the shop....Driving it, sounds like an accident waiting to happen

Stelya

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol...maybe I got it wrong, sorry guys

Yes...mechanic said it may be some bolt got broken .

Doo you know approx cost of those fixes?
New rack, universal joint...

Thanks