Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash Cam for VF

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Am looking for something a little more permanent than my current Garmin that is on my windshield with the wire hanging loosely down the dash to the power socket. How have people gone about their installs; am nervous about removing the trims containing the airbags! Or do people have professionals they’d like to recommend? Thanks :)

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I have a Vico-MF1 dashcam, and am very pleased with it (after getting the first one replaced because the focus was soft at one edge). As you can see from the photo, I've installed it under the rear vision mirror on the driver's side of the forward collision alert camera. The power cable connects at the top of the dashcam, which makes it simple to run the cable up to and under the headlining, then around the 'A' pillar and down the front edge of the driver's door opening (under the rubber seal). You then tuck or clip the cable under the dash, across to the centre console and into the power outlet. This method has the advantage of keeping most of the wiring hidden whilst not interfering with any airbags, etc., and also makes it very easy to install and replace if necessary. There's no need to remove any trim; you just tuck the wire under the headlining and rubber seal. Most dashcams come with stick-on cable clips to keep the cabling neat and tidy.
Vico_installation.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
I got a Blackvue 750 on the weekend, so far so good. Has wifi and cloud so can access the files live or away from the car when the cam is in parking mode. Night time vision is excellent too.
The kit comes with a trim tool so you can tuck the cables in, no need to remove any trim/panels etc..

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I got a Blackvue 750 on the weekend, so far so good. Has wifi and cloud so can access the files live or away from the car when the cam is in parking mode. Night time vision is excellent too.
The kit comes with a trim tool so you can tuck the cables in, no need to remove any trim/panels etc..

What was your power source?

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
What about using a 360 degree dash cam that mounts on dash board near windscreen and just run the power cable under the dashmat.

These cameras also video the vehicles approaching from the sides and when driver is holding their phone, smoking or being distracted in some other way.

Amazing how often a driver has to look down to check speedo when driving these days.

Last edited:

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I bought one the day as well, was it much trouble to feed the wire from the rear camera to the front, I also bought the power magic pro to go with it, but at this stage I have only fitted the front camera using the cigarette lighter and cable hanging from mirror until next weekend or so to fit it properly.

I used to have a mini 0806, which was a great camera but after 3 1/2 years it was starting to play up and shut down so you wouldn't know if it was recording or not.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
I bought one the day as well, was it much trouble to feed the wire from the rear camera to the front, I also bought the power magic pro to go with it, but at this stage I have only fitted the front camera using the cigarette lighter and cable hanging from mirror until next weekend or so to fit it properly.
I only got the 1ch so no rear cam for me. I'm getting a second car soon, which will be my daily, so either might get the 2ch for it or just get the Blackvue second car kit if times are tough.

What was your power source?
Power Magic
https://www.catch.com.au/product/blackvue-power-magic-pro-1827484
Caveat: If you're interested in it, shop around because I'm pretty sure there's other online shops that sell it cheaper than Catch...
(I bought this and my camera under dodgy circumstances lol)