Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash Cluster Change..??

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
As @Craig Olds has already pointed out, White Automotive and Media Services (WAMS) is a great resource when it comes to clusters. He is capable of sourcing the up-level clusters as well as programming additional features. I have worked with them and have been happy with the service.

We have a fairly extensive thread about the clusters over on the Buick forum. Here's the link to it: Coding in additional information pages/themes to Gauge Cluster

I won't spoil the information in the thread, but WAMS has successfully programed an up-level cluster to display the Vauxhall graphics for a forum member with the lower level cluster. They have done a full Buick to Vauxhall conversion, but the Opel and Holden graphics are also available. In that thread, I also shared photos and videos of the features WAMS added to my GS (up-level) cluster.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
programming the vin and pin into the eeprom on the cluster and making it work with the vehicle is easy but the main problem we have is the steering wheel on the LT and RS is different to the other variants.
in the LT and RS the buttons that control the cluster are not on the wheel they are on the indicator stalk.
in all the other variants the buttons are on the wheel and they are different messages sent over the can so the 8 inch cluster does not respond to the LT or RS buttons.
if the cluster comes out of a vehicle that has adaptive cruise control then that feature will need to be disabled because you will get the "service adaptive cruise control message"

if you have a calais that has the 4.2 inch cluster you should be able to just program the vin and pin and everything should work fine.

for the LT and RS to retro fit the 8 inch cluster the cluster will need to be programmed to respond to the indicator stalk buttons or you might need to change the steering wheel which i have not tested yet but the other buttons on the wheel might not work like cruise control/volume/handsfree call.

these are the 2 different wheel button types found in the zb
LT, RS
holden-commodore-sportwagon-interior.jpg

Calais-V, RS-V, VXR
2018-holden-commodore-rsv-car-review-026.jpg

the eeprom part is easy...
you just select ST - M95160 @SOIC8 in your programmer and dump the eeprom then just modify the vin and pin which are stored in plaintext and flash it back.

red = full vin
green = security pin
eepromhex.jpg

eeprom location
20200810-151903.jpg

20200810-151523.jpg

20200810-111344.jpg

Last edited:

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
The steering wheel on the LT and RS is different to the other variants.
I knew the Commodore steering wheel was slightly different from the Regal, but I didn't know there were two versions of cluster controls for the Commodore ZB. Forgive my lack of knowledge there and thanks for setting me straight. I now see how the cluster swap isn't just plug and play.

I thought I had all of the nuances of the Commodore ZB/Insignia B/Regal figured out. It's amazing how much character these cars have between each market and trim.

Not to turn this into a steering wheel comparison thread, but all steering wheels in North America have the same basic controls and stalks. There are only differences between the cars with, or without, adaptive cruise and a heated steering wheel.
All Regals except GS:
2019-Buick-Regal-TourX_B2_o__01.jpg

GS (only difference being the flat bottom):
Screenshot_20200820-010100__01.jpg

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it also looks like we cant retrofit the 8 inch infotainment unit into the LT or RS at least not plug and play.
the wiring harness is different and i get the feeling the steering wheel buttons will be an issue too.

once i manage to source the wheel and 8 inch infotainment unit i will see if i can get the wheel, cluster and infotainment unit all working together.