Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash cluster gear selector lights

capsey7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute V6 3.8L
Hey guys,
I've got a auto 2001 VU and wanted to get the gear selector lights in the dash cluster (didn't come factory, I presume as its base model). I've had a read around on a few threads and believe I need to get a hold of a 4-pin loom. I just wanted to know if I will need to get a new cluster fascia or can I just scratch the old one and colour in the selector part? Will the cluster already have to wiring needed for the selector to work? So I just need to put in the globes where needed.
If someone has done this already and thinks its not worth the effort or is a waist, please let me know as its just for when I'm shifting using the Active Select (mainly at night) as its rather annoying having to look down to check what gear its flicked into accidentally.
Cheers, Chris.

capsey7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute V6 3.8L
photo (1).jpg
Could someone also tell me which one of the globe holes is for the PRND321?

capsey7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute V6 3.8L
And i believe I will also need to then get a different BCM and get it reprogrammed?
Has anyone seen or considered some sort of custom shift indicator?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
View attachment 166555
Could someone also tell me which one of the globe holes is for the PRND321?
I'm pretty sure there is a globe for each position, so 7 in total.
The cluster you have pictured doesn't look like it has that feature.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The grear selector is lit up by LED's on the main board of the cluster. There are no globes that light up this part of the cluster.

Scratching in anything on the back of the dial face will look very very very bad. dont do it. buy a cluster and loom with plug and graft the 4 wires into the cars loom.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
You need a new cluster with them in it, pretty sure you need to upgrade the bcm and then there is another loom that runs from the computer to the trans. Pretty simple to so but you need a tech 2 to link the bcm to your car.

capsey7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute V6 3.8L
You need a new cluster with them in it, pretty sure you need to upgrade the bcm and then there is another loom that runs from the computer to the trans. Pretty simple to so but you need a tech 2 to link the bcm to your car.

Cheers mate. I presume a good mechanic or holden dealer should be able to help me in choosing what level cluster and bcm I will need, and hopefully will be willing to help with the tech2 once its in.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Cheers mate. I presume a good mechanic or holden dealer should be able to help me in choosing what level cluster and bcm I will need, and hopefully will be willing to help with the tech2 once its in.

If only it were that simple. If you need to upgrade your BCM it may not match up with your current body loom. So that means either a re-wire or do it yourself and sort out all the issues you'll create. Seriously, FWIW, I wouldn't bother. Unless you've already sunk a fortune into the car, I'd just upgrade the car.

This all depends whether it can be done with a low level BCM though. The 4 pin plug wires into the ECU, I just bought one and I'll probably fit it next weekend so maybe you don't need to upgrade the BCM. I'm not sure. I do know that you can't necessarily just swap one BCM for another without often having some serious wiring to do.

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
The 4 pin plug wires into the ECU, I just bought one ....

Where did you buy the loom from? How much did it cost?
Do you have the part number?

I have the cluster, and (I think) my BCM is compatible. I just need the loom.

Cheers,

JG