Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash Dims when sub kicks.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
hey guys....just installed my new stereo....i had the car running and started playing some music, and noticed that everytime the sub kicked, all the lights on the dash would dim a fair amount......does this mean i have an electrical fault? or do i need to upgrade my alternator or something?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Upgrade your earths. There is a thread floating about somewhere that will show you how

Search "big 3" or simply "earth upgrade"

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
i was going to ground the negative battery terminal to the chassis.....but is this going to be a bare minimum fix?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Its a good start. Use at least 4g cable, sand back the paint, and lately I have been using "wire glue" from jaycar on my earths as well to seal them up

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Plus ensure your amplifier earth is the same as philthy said, well sanded back etc. Make sure you power cable is up to the job too. If your amp terminal accepts 4awg - give it 4awg.

My last stereo ran 1260wrms on stock altenator and battery with no dimming anywhere at all.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
hey guys....just installed my new stereo....i had the car running and started playing some music, and noticed that everytime the sub kicked, all the lights on the dash would dim a fair amount......does this mean i have an electrical fault? or do i need to upgrade my alternator or something?

If you gave us some more detail, such as a full list of the components you are using, then we would be more likely to be able to tell you what upgrades would benifit you the most.

And no, a capacitor will not fix the issue.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
oh sorry....i got 6.5" type R splits in the front doors....6.5" typr R coaxs in the rear....and a 500watt rms type R sub....i have a 500watt monoblock and a 1320watt 4 channel...

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
oh sorry....i got 6.5" type R splits in the front doors....6.5" typr R coaxs in the rear....and a 500watt rms type R sub....i have a 500watt monoblock and a 1320watt 4 channel...

Plus ensure your amplifier earth is the same as philthy said, well sanded back etc. Make sure you power cable is up to the job too. If your amp terminal accepts 4awg - give it 4awg.

My last stereo ran 1260wrms on stock altenator and battery with no dimming anywhere at all. Have you checked all this stuff mate?

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
i have sanded patches under the rear seat to bare metal then got a terminal with a copper washer and used a self taping screw into the body....is there any other ways that would be better?