Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash display not working

Hgprem01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
I have a VY series 1 s pak ute. Although all the temp, revs speedo and fuel guage work, the display works only sometimes. If I hit the top of the dash hard enough it sometimes starts to work, or all items are displayed in the panel. I have also had it freeze on me and hit and comes good.

I talked to Holden and the service tech surgested it could be a programming error, is this likely?

Also I have a friend with a series 1 vy also, can I swap the dash across without doing any damage to both cars, to see if the whole cluster is the problem, or a wiring programming problem. His kms are a little more than mine.

Has anybody else had a problem like this?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Matthew

zeb00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
in two working VY's there would be no problems swapping over the clusters but i would be careful putting a working cluster into your car before checking it isnt a short somewhere that has damaged you cluster. if hitting it brings it good i would have thought it would be a physical problem inside the cluster like a dry solder joint.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
unless the cars are identical swapping clusters will produce among other things, airbag codes that need to be cleared with a scan tool.
the problem you describe is a fault in the instrument cluster, it needs to be replaced or repaired.

Rob

Hgprem01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Thankyou for you reply and help, I was afraid that would be the problem, it has got worse not the interior has heated up with summer. Any ideas on who might me able to repair in the victoria?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
try taking it to your local auto electrician. Is it still under warranty, if so get holden to fix it!!!