Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash lights for heater, demister, interior fan speed etc

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I've never had lights in my VP (exec) for the controls that work the heater, vent selector and fan speed. I pretty much can find them in the dark but it still sometimes irritates me. Are they meant to be lit up? Is it just a matter of replacing a bulb or 2?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
probably just blown globes, you need to move the surround around the gear shifter back, unscrew 3 screws on the stereo surround (hidden at the bottom behind the gear shifter surround), remove this careully and unplug the ac switch (and security led if your car has it)

unscrew the heater control, unclip the heater control rod down near where your left foot usually is.
Carefully pull the heater/vent control forward without ripping vac hoses out... detach the vac hoses from the back of the vent control (the big bit that all the hoses go into comes off the control switch)
may need to use long pliers to get to the globe holders to remove them, 2 t5 globes are needed to be replaced

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks Jxw for that detailed reply. I replaced the 2 x t5 globes today and repaired my reverse light/safety switch as well. Used this how to on P3 of the How To section
[VR-VS] How To Repair Reverse Light Switch on Auto VR/VS Commodore
Started by vsiicalais, 08-12-2008
Thanks to vsiicalais for that thread too. It is identical for VP by the way.
New questions: what globe and fitting is meant to go in what I assume is a light socket in back of the AC switch? I have nothing there and no apparent power source either although there seems to be an electrical contact built into the mounting. There is a little globe (t5 size, but different) which fits in the back of a non-switch 2 spaces away from the AC switch. I thought of using this as a power source? or is this to do with the led security Jxw mentioned in his reply above?

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
the led security Jxw mentioned in his reply above?

Yes it is, you could improvise by splicing into the other lighting wires if you wanted to add light in that spot I suppose..