Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash lights not working/change backing

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I have a problem with the dash lights. Whenever I turn the light switch to 'Parkers' the dash light fuse blows. It's only a 5 amp fuse. I did the unthinkable and placed higher amp fuses in and it just kept blowing fuses. I'm thinking short somewhere....any ideas :hit::hit::hit:

Also, has anyone ever changed the background of the dash. I see you can get different colour backgrounds and I'm considering changing the colour to white on the gear selector, fan controller and dash background. Has anyone ever done this and how easy was it to put the dash background in. I know how to pull out the dash but how do you open the front of the unit to change the back ground. Is there a trick to pulling off the speedo, fuel gauge, temp etc.

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
No replies anyone help..............................................

homer28b

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive
When you pull out the cluster there are 4 screws along the bottom at the back. It's preferable to use the proper hex driver but you can do it with a small flat tip. Once you have removed these there are two latches on top you need to lever off and then carefully pull it apart.
To remove and change the faces it is just a matter of levering off the needles and undoing the small screws holding them on.
Just be careful of the wiring and circuits at the rear of the cluster.

Hope this helps. If you need more info just email me.

Just ensure that while you have the dash out that you do not turn the keys in the ignition because this can cause damage to the system.

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
what kind of "damage to the system" are we talking about?

coz i drove mine about 50m the other day with the dash completely out

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
also radarboy i was thinking of doing the same to my VS. there is a nice kit on ebay for $95. white background with blue numbers. im pretty keen on buying it

homer28b

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive
Not sure about actual damage. I've heard and read a few differing stories but it definitely causes some error codes.

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
O.K got it repaired. I couldn't find the fault for the auto electrician did the job for $130. Problem was when I purchased the car the radio didn't work so I re wired the stereo. Problem is I wired the stereo the wrong way and it blow the lights for the instrucments every time I replaced the fuse and switched on the headlights. He simply re wired he stereo and replaced the fuse all fixed.....how ever when I drove it home the airbag light stayed on. I had to take it back to the work shop to have then hook the computer up to make the airbag light go away. So if you have the speed cluster out and drive the car a short distance the airbag light will not go out. The only way to make it go out is to take it to the work shop again and hook it up to their computer to cancell the light. Hope this is of help :)