Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash replacement - Air bag interrupted ??

daveb6886

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
Hey guys i lifted the carpet on the dash and it has been glued down unfortunately so i want to change the whole surround as it looks ugly.

I have an air bag on the passenger seat so abit worried i’m going to affect it.

How do i get around this. ?

TIA

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes the dreaded Passenger side Airbag.

You can change the whole crash pad area without moving the airbag as that's actually underneath.

Now finding another crash pad with the passenger side cover in salvageable condition, now that's hard as most have been badly sun affected and that's probably why some previous owner slopped glue over it and stuck carpet over it all.

Just wondering if the airbag cover had the carpet with a separation gap from the rest of the crash pad as if it was just a single piece of carpet and it was stuck over the airbag area then firstly that would be illegal and secondly it wouldn't function as it should in the event of a collision and the bag being activated.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have an air bag on the passenger seat
You have side air bags which are mounted in the side of the seats?
You want to take the seats out so can rip up the carpet?
Just disconnect the battery. Don't re connect the battery until you have the seats & all the plugs back in, otherwise you will set of the air bag error dash light.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you trying to be funny Lex ? Oh man !

daveb6886

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
Yes the dreaded Passenger side Airbag.

You can change the whole crash pad area without moving the airbag as that's actually underneath.

Now finding another crash pad with the passenger side cover in salvageable condition, now that's hard as most have been badly sun affected and that's probably why some previous owner slopped glue over it and stuck carpet over it all.

Just wondering if the airbag cover had the carpet with a separation gap from the rest of the crash pad as if it was just a single piece of carpet and it was stuck over the airbag area then firstly that would be illegal and secondly it wouldn't function as it should in the event of a collision and the bag being activated.

Ok good to know that i can change it without interrupting the air bag. I’ll keep a look out i guess... Who knows how long till i find a half decent one.

In terms on the carpet have a slot cut out for the air bag deployment yes it has been done like that

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
All Good !

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The airbag cover on the passenger side is hinged to open either from the top or the bottom (can't remember which). Therefore, it doesn't matter what material you place on the cover itself (within reason), as it won't affect the airbag's ability to deploy. Contrast this with the steering wheel airbag cover which actually splits across the middle when the airbag is deployed, and shouldn't be covered with anything.

This has been stated in previous posts on this subject.