Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash spreakers for VK/VL Calais

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hi,

Im after a set of replacement speakers for my VK Calais dash but I havent as yet found anything that will fit.

The original speakers are 3.5" yup good on you GMH to go for an odd size. Has anyone replaced theirs? If so what did you use?

No way in hell im cuttin holes in my door trims for speakers so I want to try and find something thats gunna fit.

cheers
Scott

Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
well how about cutting a couple of small screw holes in the door trims and mounting a fiberglassed pod there?
really 3.5 inch speakers will sound crap on their own. you need a larger range of sizes.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
or take the dash out and size up the holes to fit 4" in there i think thats what happened with mine. coz mine are 4"

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
I did mine a while back, I shopped around and used a set of Blaupunkt ones 90W peak from memory, cant remember the details but if you're looking for something that will mate straight up to the plastic speaker grille, forget it.

I VERY CAREFULLY linished my speaker grilles back to get clearance between the speaker magnet and the firewall, its very tight in there. I had to glue the speaker to the plastic grille but found this to be unsatisfactory as certain plastics are very tricky to glue, esp perspex type ones. they had to glue up flush, there wasnt a male/female type lip to fit them.

Looking back I would have run some sort of device maybe a high pass filter that limits the power supplied to the front ones but still allows all the juice into the back ones and kept the front ones stock. AFAIK theres nothing that will go straight in without a bit of work and yes theyre a bitch of a size.

Be very wary of anyone in a carshop that tells you its easy, cos it bloody well isnt. good luck.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thanks for the info guys, Im not putting speakers in the doors, I have map pockets on the front part of the door trim, have paid alot of money for new door trims & I dont want to put any holes other than factory in them.

As for mounting speakers behind the crash pad, I measured up theres about 20mm room from the beck of the crash pad to the steel behind it.

If I can get some speakers that will fit inside the holes I will be happy I can glue some brackets to the back of the magnet. As for fitting the speaker grills worst case I could double sided tape them in.

I think I will end up fitting 6" splits in the Kick panels and the tweaters up where the original speakers were fitted. Unless I get any better suggestions or a reason not to.

cheers
Scott

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Scott...first off whats more important to you? Not cutting into the dash or any part of your car or getting the best sound? Let me know and we can take it from there aye? ;)

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Scott...first off whats more important to you? Not cutting into the dash or any part of your car or getting the best sound? Let me know and we can take it from there aye? ;)
Really I dont want to go cutting the car up, but hoping for the best sound I can get. I am totally green on the car audio side so please educate me.

Definitely not cutting the door trims, I have spent big $$$ getting brock trims redone and I cant bring myself to cut them.

Dash wise, I have a brand new VK Calais crash pad not a mark on it, I dont mind cutting it underneath but not up on top I want to try to keep the original speaker grilles.

Kick panels I dont give a crap about them, I have a spare pair I was going to cover & put the speakers in.

As for the Rest of the stereo (Please note none of which has been purchased yet)

I was going for a JVC KD-SH1000 head unit
Kenwood 7x10s mounted on a new 25mm MDF parcel shelf
Amp not yet decided but good enough to power front speakers & 7x10s
Subs - Nup im not going there hence the 7x10s.

Previously a few years ago I had
Pioneer headunit DEH-P646
Alpine DD 6" drives in the front doors
Kenwood 7x10s of the rear parcel shelf
Alpine Flex 4 (75w x4 channel amp)

any assistance will be much appreciated & taken on board I want to buy once and be happy with my purchase.

cheers
Scott

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
If you're not going to cut your trims, then you're really not gonna get food sound without cutting substantially under the dash to get a 6 or 6.5" to fit

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Scott.....heres a question for you.

Do you LOVE good quality music or do you just need something to beat out the tunes at considerable volume? I'm guessing sound quality isn't that high on the list if your using 7x10s

If you just need something to beat out the tunes at volume then I would simply forget about getting some front speakers and disconnect the ones in the dash now.

That would be my thought. Anything that will fit in their will not be highpowered nor will it make a lot of noise.