Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash swap / removal info. PLEASE HELP!

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII
Hi all, pretty straight up question for all you vn-vs tinkerers out there (and I'm sure there's plenty on here).
I need to know is the metal bracket / framework that holds the radio / head unit and heater/ fan controls that is located behind the radio surround trim. Removable??. That is,... Is the metal framework bolted to the dash and removable without taking the whole dash off?. Is it riveted In so I can drill it out or what??
I ask because I am converting a 3 seat (bench ute ) to bucket including installing a 2 seater dash and console. ( it's a manual and the bucket seats are allready Installed so this metal framework that appears to be different from 2 to 3 seater is my next concern).
Can someone clever please..
A - confirm it is a different framework or not?
B - confirm it is removable without an entire dash swap???
it really looks like it would be different as the stereo location and heater control location is completely different .. That said I haven't takin a dash / radio surround apart in one of these models for years and years...
I need to know before I go salvage this all from a wreck so I know what tools to bring!

cheers 4 anyone whom replies its greatly appreciated..

CUTSICK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive Series 1
yes it is bolted on and can be un bolted but i think you have to remove the dash i know this because i took mine off :)

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII
Aaaw faaarq.. U mean remove the whole dash?? or just the bottom half?

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
The bottom half would need to be removed. the metal frame for the radio and stuff is screwed onto the upper bit of the dash. and at bolted at the bottom.
I could be wrong! happily be corrected.

should be easy man.
Remove the surround and have a sus.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Whole dash has to come out...

Its a bastard job.

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII
I really hope your wrong stockies or I have to pull 2 commodore dashes out and refit one into the ute before my days over!. Is any you guys 100 % sure or just kinda guessing ?

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
It can be taken off without removing the dash, I have a whole dash on my bench right now

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
uploadfromtaptalk1371290784301.jpg

Thats the piece you want? It has four screws holding it on from the front up the top and a bolt down the bottom, alao I think it has one screw holding it on to the heater box

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hmmm,
The VN/VP ones have a pop rivet on the underside. The VR/VS ones have screws? That's what i see in the picture from turmoil117.

May be possible without taking the dash out after all...

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII
Thanks!! This forums great appreciate the help!. I just pulled my surround off to have a suss (bench type). (I can't get too varied away coz I have to drive it to work tommorow!). But I appreciate the pic of the normal (2 seater) type too.. it appears on mine a couple screws will be a b/(h to get to with dash in but should be possible.. I was a bit worried it was a dash out job for a while there. the previous owner of the ute decided he would re paint the interior spray can style and smash and break everything he removed while he was at it. good a reason as any to replace with a proper two seat dash!.
Thanks heaps guys!