Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash top fading

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Hey all . Have noticed the top of the dash on the passenger side looks like it has faded or something . Have tried different types of plastic cleaners with various results . Has anyone else had this happen to theirs .
2019-04-28 10.35.54.png

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
No. Mine looks as new.
Suggest if you park in the sun drop a hand towel on it or buy a dash mat from your local auto parts store.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s where the airbag sits.

Have you tried soaking that area with aerospace 303? Spray, rub in with your fingers, let sit over night.
Spray again in the morning over the whole area and wipe clean.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
No. Mine looks as new.
Suggest if you park in the sun drop a hand towel on it or buy a dash mat from your local auto parts store.
Most times when its hot i cover it but at work it is in the shade . I guess i could get a dash mat . My daughter said dash mats are for old people , I'm 62 so i guess i qualify ha ha .

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
That’s where the airbag sits.

Have you tried soaking that area with aerospace 303? Spray, rub in with your fingers, let sit over night.
Spray again in the morning over the whole area and wipe clean.
Is this the product you are talking about? Think i have some , thanks mate I'll try that and see how it goes .

Attachments

• 20190428_121027.jpg
    20190428_121027.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 198

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is the product. It’s nothing like silicone based sprays. It’s the ducks nuts in my books and it’s used by some high profile detailers too.

Really soak it. Some run off will happen so mop up the runs with a cloth but let it soak in. You’ll see some gone after 5mins, so soak again.

By morning it will have absorbed in.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
That is the product. It’s nothing like silicone based sprays. It’s the ducks nuts in my books and it’s used by some high profile detailers too.

Really soak it. Some run off will happen so mop up the runs with a cloth but let it soak in. You’ll see some gone after 5mins, so soak again.

By morning it will have absorbed in.
No worries mate thanks heaps for the advice :D

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Most times when its hot i cover it but at work it is in the shade . I guess i could get a dash mat . My daughter said dash mats are for old people , I'm 62 so i guess i qualify ha ha .

I bought a dash mat off eBay in summer last year, and my wife said, you turning into an old Fart, :eek:
Maybe so I said, [as I am 58], however, I did ask her, Well how old are you then ! [there was silence] :rolleyes:
But I was in Shepparton Last year working, and it was Damn Hot, and the dash and steering wheel was also stinking hot after I had it parked for a couple of hours
and that's when I figured, got to get a dash mat,
Well, there was an altera motive for a dash mat, not only to keep the dash from fading,
It also insulates the dash air vents, and keeps the Air Cooler coming from Dash Vents when the Air Conditioner is on. ;)
So the young wipar snappers need to think, Do mess with the Oldies :D

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought a dash mat off eBay in summer last year, and my wife said, you turning into an old Fart, :eek:
Maybe so I said, [as I am 58], however, I did ask here, Well how old are you then ! [there was silence]
But I was in Shepparton Last year working, and it was Damn Hot, and the dash and steering wheel was also stinking hot after I had it parked for a couple of hours
and that's when I figured, got to get a dash mat,
Well, there was an altera motive for a dash mat, not only to keep the dash from fading,
It also insulates the dash air vents, and keeps the Air Cooler coming from Dash Vents when the Air Conditioner is on. ;)
So the young wipar snappers need to think, Do mess with the Oldies :D
Found a set of nice rear louvres on eBay you might like.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon