Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dashcam question regarding police

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
Police generally don't need a warrant to seize items that they reasonably believe are evidence of the commission of an offence.
Anything that they take has to be recorded, and properly stored, and available for production in court when recorded.
If they fail to produce it when requested, I'd expect the Magistrate to get cranky.

Another issue is this. In recent years, there has been a lot of legislation about "recording devices", "surveillance devices", and "tracking devices".
As I understand it, if you record what other people do, &/or say, without their consent, then you might be committing an offence.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
i know for a fact in the US you can verbally say "i do not consent to searches" in which they will then need probable cause to enter and search your vehicle (example: crack smoke billowing from your windows).

someone told me that unlike the USA, in australia they dont need probable cause or any cause to search you or your vehicle, you actually agree to these terms when you sign the forms to gain a drivers license. someone correct me if im wrong...
since 9/11 and all their new terror laws they now have probable cause at all times in the US. I was there when that law came in and remember the furore over it. mind you, prior to this, denying a search pretty much sealed your fate as they could always find something as probable cause and US being who they are... Can always turn SOMETHING up in their searches. amazing

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
since 9/11 and all their new terror laws they now have probable cause at all times in the US. I was there when that law came in and remember the furore over it. mind you, prior to this, denying a search pretty much sealed your fate as they could always find something as probable cause and US being who they are... Can always turn SOMETHING up in their searches. amazing

agreed, if they want someone locked up it will happen weather they broke the law or not.

ive got a mate that has hidden AV recording devices in his car so he has ammo in case of situations like this. i pointed out to him maryland has anti wire tapping laws that could pin 15 years + on him for covertly recording a member of law enforcement. he dosent live in maryland but i dont know the laws in every state, could be others like them. he told me its his personal insurance against racial profiling. hasent needed to use it yet, but he also goes out of his way not to act like a douche and attract unwanted attention.

9 times out of 10 if you have nothing to hide, havent broken the law, and have a good attitude, the cops wont sweat you during a traffic stop

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
Some of the videos on youtube and around the internet about police doing the wrong thing, especially in the USA are unreal and what happens to them when they do the wrong thing?

Absolutely nothing! F*** the police!