Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

day/work licenses

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I think it should be done in schools

WA runs the Keys4Life program at schools which teaches kids about safe road use and has them sit their Learner's Permit theory test.

When passed, they get a certificate which they present to the licensing authority once they turn 16, pay their fee and get their Learner's Permit.

My young bloke did this last year at 15. He turned 16 earlier this year so now on L Plates and can go for his licence at 17, after completing 50 supervised, log booked hours including 5 hours at night.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Our local high school has started a program and even have a little Suzuki Swift to teach the kids how to drive but the licensing part is still done via Govco. authorized testing venues. Ideally it should be a school program like you seem to have in WA.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hate the privatisation of government legislated requirements...

If they require me to have a license, the government should run the program efficiently and not for profit... Then there is likely less gouging going on...

Instead the governments outsource or worse still sell their responsibilities to private companies who gouge the population while donating to all political parties... it’s corruption at the highest level :mad:

In the USA, jails are a self serving and very profitable private business... as is the phone company that provides calls from within jails (talk about a captured audience).... is it any wonder USA has the highest incarceration rates in the world.

Back to licences, the theory and phsupycology of safe driving should be taught at school, as should testing and skills certification. Actual licence issuing should be done by government entity on presentation of academic achievement. But where’s the money in that :eek:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Our local high school has started a program and even have a little Suzuki Swift to teach the kids how to drive but the licensing part is still done via Govco. authorized testing venues. Ideally it should be a school program like you seem to have in WA.

The practical driving aspect isn't part of WA's program unfortunately.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
**** me, if we can all see it, why can't the pollies? bunch of ******* retards.....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess we don't "pay" enough as private citizens!

Benjamien.C

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 factory Manual VU S
Is there no public transport
i live in a rural area and my workplace is a 40 minute drive.
For everyone asking why im this old and still on L plates, My father has been very ill and i was homeless at 16 so when i should have been going for my L’s i was worrying about where i was going to sleep. Maybe stop judging and just help out like ive asked.

Benjamien.C

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 factory Manual VU S
It's amazing...Here the op is trying to get his licence to be independent and people are on here telling to walk, catch a bus and what the heck are you doing on L's at 21....

Geez, I see it as at least he is trying to something useful, even if he is a little older than what we were when we got our licence....Is he surposed to be like the norm kid at that age....F getting my licence....I'll rely on everyone else, or just drive unlicenced....

Heck, when I got my licence, you drove the local copper to the pub, so he could get a slab and dropped him back at the cop shop....When you got back to the cop shop, you grabbed 2 stubbies, 1 for you, the other for the copper and drank it whilst the licence was being written up

These days, you've got to do hundreds of hours in various conditions, before they even look at you getting a test...A big difference
I was homeless at 16, i wasnt worried one bit on getting my license on time, more the fact on where i was going to sleep, im proud of how far ive come, all i was asking for was help