Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dayco HB puller

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That's the sort of thing you'd probably use more than you think. You can never have too many puller sets. Dayco's a good brand too. Would be surprised if it didn't have the right bolts for a commodore. Maybe message them and ask?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks EYY, that sounds like a better purchase than a go through socket set. I have messaged the seller.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
That looks like a good universal kit Losh and I agree with EYY's comments above
Dayco is also a reputable aussie company, so you would be supporting an aussie business :)

If you want something that is V6 commodore specific, you can't go past the quality of a G&G Technics Harmonic Balancer puller
I'll admit that they're bloody expensive, but they are a top quality bit of gear
You would need Part Number GGT-301
Some Ebay listings....
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=GGT-301&_sacat=0
Their website products page....
http://www.ggtechnics.com.au/products/

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Found out the Dayco unit is not suitable for Buick and Eco. Not much point me getting one at this stage. Looks like i am back to old, old plan and saving my birthday money and putting it towards a decent 17cfm compressor.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Still buy one, you just need to purchase different bolts which you can get through your local bolt shop. I paid ~$3 for three bolts when I used to have a v6 in mine from bearing wholesalers. Saving money is never a bad idea either lol

Be careful with big compressors if you only have single phase power. Running a 10cfm compressor the circuit breaker pops every now and then. I have a 10cfm compressor and a smaller 7 cfm compressor - an old twin cylinder clisby I cobbled together with ebay parts (a little overdriven so probably more like 8cfm).

The single 10cfm is enough for most jobs but both can be joined together if needed. Need to ensure they're plugged into different circuits obviously. Only time i've needed two is using a fresh air respirator and used the other for spraying.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a 16a single circuit just for the compressor. I have a 3hp compressor now just too small and it never trips, should be ok. I think the one I'm looking at doesn't load up like the old ones do, when it cuts in. I also need to maintain a constant 90psi to run the sand blaster. Mine runs drops to about 50psi once the tank is drained. As for the puller are you saying the V6 balancer can take bolts and doesn't need the little feet on the legs? Its not original any more as i fiited a new balancer ove a year ago. I just used a 3 jaw back then and it came off fairly easy.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah sandblaster will definitely need plenty of air!

Never use a 3 jaw puller as they're rubber mounted unless you don't care about the harmonic balancer and are replacing it. Always pull from the hub. The factory ones have 3 bolt holes (through those 3 oval holes) and I assume any aftermarket will be the same or similar.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will have a look on the weekend. Its not a Powerbond so may or may not have holes. Yeah i used the 3 jaw as the balancer was knackered and making a hell of a racket. I reckon I will grab the Dayco one anyway as it will be handy as it looks pretty good and looks versatile from the pics.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I don't know if the thread in the Buick motor harmonic balancers is the same as the ecotec
I know for sure that the ecotec balancer bolt holes are 1/4 inch fine thread
1/4" x 2-1/2" UNF bolts are the correct thread and the perfect length to remove the balancer on an ecotec with my puller
I've removed quite a few ecotec balancers to do Crank angle sensors and timing cover seals that were leaking with the same set of bolts and I've never had an issue