Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DBA rotors HD series 4000XS

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Anyone have or heard any feedback on DBA 4000XS rotors?

Might fit these instead of T3's just to be different.

They look a step up from the street series gold with just the 4 slots. These are a bit more expensive than T3's as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191128-001930_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191128-001930_Samsung Internet.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 214

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
DBA makes quality products. Have not seen reviews but I imagine they are really good. They definitely look best in the whole range in my opinion. I was looking at them but DBA does not make them for my front brake setup...

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Generally you go to DBA 4000 due to heavy use (motorsport etc), The XS series being cross drilled is not suitable for this use as more prone to cracking as its more a visual thing. You'd be better off with DBA 4000 standard or T3 if your using them for harder use or just standard T2 if just road use.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Generally you go to DBA 4000 due to heavy use (motorsport etc), The XS series being cross drilled is not suitable for this use as more prone to cracking as its more a visual thing. You'd be better off with DBA 4000 standard or T3 if your using them for harder use or just standard T2 if just road use.

This whole drilled rotors crack talk is bit of bs..Maybe in theory more likely to crack than non drilled rotor...but when was the last time you heard about this happening with DBA rotors in Australia..
I think it's grossly exaggerated view...

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
This whole drilled rotors crack talk is bit of bs..Maybe in theory more likely to crack than non drilled rotor...but when was the last time you heard about this happening with DBA rotors in Australia..
I think it's grossly exaggerated view...
On the street you won't crack them.

However my cracked pair of DBA 4000 says it does happen and if it happened to a T3 it would be worse on a cross drilled rotor.

Even the DBA site mentions the XS for show and to go T3 for intensive braking. Yes the chances are low but for anyone using them for their intended purpose (motorsport) the risk vs reward of the looks isn't worth it.

This is what a rotor failure can look like on track.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

However my cracked pair of DBA 4000 says it does happen and if it happened to a T3 it would be worse on a cross drilled rotor.

Even the DBA site mentions the XS for show and to go T3 for intensive braking. Yes the chances are low but for anyone using them for their intended purpose (motorsport) the risk vs reward of the looks isn't worth it.

Oh wow. That's nasty

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Oh wow. That's nasty
Yep, its very uncommon. My cracks are far less than that but it does happen. I still use DBA but I think their advice to avoid the cross drilled rotors for heavy braking applications is justified seeing as 4000 series T3 still crack on occasion of very hard use.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I may be mistaken but that doesn't look like the rotor failed due to cracks coming from the holes.

Also not all rotor holes are drilled, some are cast (more expensive) and those that are cast are much stronger and less prone to cracking, when it comes to rotors you get what you pay for.

Cracking around drilled holes
Cracked_drilled_rotors.jpg

48155896d1501528106-drilled-rotors-vs-slotted-rotors-engineer-test-rotor_bigcrack.jpg

Heat is the big killer of rotors whether they are drilled or not and that's why they fail at the track

crevicedbrembo1100035068.jpg

Last edited:

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I may be mistaken but that doesn't look like the rotor failed due to cracks coming from the holes.

Also not all rotor holes are drilled, some are cast (more expensive) and those that are cast are much stronger and less prone to cracking, when it comes to rotors you get what you pay for.

Cracking around drilled holes
Cracked_drilled_rotors.jpg

48155896d1501528106-drilled-rotors-vs-slotted-rotors-engineer-test-rotor_bigcrack.jpg

No it wasn't directly on the holes. I was more highlighting that DBA rotors do indeed fail on occasion and the seriousness of a failure.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
No it wasn't directly on the holes. I was more highlighting that DBA rotors do indeed fail on occasion and the seriousness of a failure.

Definitely all rotors will eventually fail if given enough punishment, even those designed and manufactured to the nth degree for serious track and competition use.

I have to say though that drilled rotors are just for looks and if it a street car then I think they look great.