Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DBA rotors HD series 4000XS

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I'm pretty sure that the 4000XS is the same type I have on my VX R8 Clubby now (330mm in the case of the VX R8) . They look like a very nicely made rotor. I don't drive the car all that much and no hard braking, so can't say how they go in those conditions.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
My car never sees the track so it's mainly for a look and to enhance braking in the wet and be an upgrade from factory solid rotors.

I'm sure all rotors can crack if they are flogged no matter how good they are. I think Ron was just implying that DBA are much better quality than your cheap eBay junk. But that still doesn't make them bulletproof.

I'm interested to find out why the big euro performance manufacturers still fit drilled rotors to their cars.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Looks better - so people will pay more, and so more profit.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
enhance braking in the wet and be an upgrade from factory solid rotors.

Braking in the wet would be tyres as brakes can easily cope in the wet.

A lot of people confuse plain rotors and solid rotors. The VF has non slotted vented rotors on all 4 corners not solid rotors, in non heavy use these actually perform better as there is marginally more surface area for the pad.

Slotted or drilled see benefit when the pads heat up significantly and produce gas when needs to wiped by the slot to maintain good surface contact. (This problem is not as much an issue now as pad compounds are much better than in the past).

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

A lot of people confuse plain rotors and solid rotors. The VF has non slotted vented rotors on all 4 corners not solid rotors, in non heavy use these actually perform better as there is marginally more surface area for the pad.

Slotted or drilled see benefit when the pads heat up significantly and produce gas when needs to wiped by the slot to maintain good surface contact. (This problem is not as much an issue now as pad compounds are much better than in the past).

I am about to fit T3 rotors in next few weeks. I only bought them because they look good.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

Thanks eman1 - my opinion has always been that more contact area gives better braking.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Slotted brake rotors use slots carved into the flat metal surface to move gas, heat and water away from the surface of the rotors which ultimately gives better surface contact.

The offset to the extra surface contact is they wear out the pads quicker.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm interested to find out why the big euro performance manufacturers still fit drilled rotors to their cars.

Because drilled rotors are okay for street driven cars and in many cases high end performance cars have cast holes and this includes cast holes in ceramic rotors.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride

In relation to wet weather braking, I was referring to the short delay with the brakes biting after they have been through a puddle or soaked.
I never had this delay with drilled, slotted, or drilled/slotted

Yes my mistake about the rotors. I meant plain, not solid.

Last edited:

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Because drilled rotors are okay for street driven cars and in many cases high end performance cars have cast holes and this includes cast holes in ceramic rotors.

Ah ha that makes sense as most high high end have ceramic rotors.