Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DBA T3 vs DBA XS

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am about to buy new DBA rotors and still have dillema between DBA's slotted and drilled rotors.

Car is daily driver, some agressive stops...but no track work.

Will use OEM brembo pads with them.

Would there be any significant practical difference in braking performace for my use ?

I am aware that drilled rotors are more prone to cracking in extreme conditions i.e. track but I will not use my brakes for this.

Money is not an issue. XS is a bit pricier and I prefer them at the moment because they look better...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201016-091214_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-091214_Google.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot_20201016-091252_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201016-091252_Google.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 185

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If your not tracking the car, the standard brakes are more than adequate for road use. But as you’ve gone to the trouble and cost to upgrade to Brembo calipers, I’d guess you were wanting some aesthetically pleasing brake package to fill out the wheels (along with that feeling that the performance would be there if ever required). In that context, either rotor would do just fine so choose the rotor that you think looks nicer.

As for any significant braking difference for your use case, we’ll running costs will be higher as compared to the adequate mondo set-up you had. Unfortunately, there is no way around the fact that fashion and warm fuzzy feelings cost :p

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If your not tracking the car, the standard brakes are more than adequate for road use. But as you’ve gone to the trouble and cost to upgrade to Brembo calipers, I’d guess you were wanting some aesthetically pleasing brake package to fill out the wheels (along with that feeling that the performance would be there if ever required). In that context, either rotor would do just fine so choose the rotor that you think looks nicer.

As for any significant braking difference for your use case, we’ll running costs will be higher as compared to the adequate mondo set-up you had. Unfortunately, there is no way around the fact that fashion and warm fuzzy feelings cost :p

Yeah. They both look good but drilled ones look a bit better to me.
Nothing really wrong with stock rotors but I dont like Remsa and have a set of oem pads ready...so might as well throw some nice rotors on it...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I think they could be discontinuing XS and replacing with XD which are drilled and dimpled...
No mention of XS on DBA web site much...

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
T3s are good, Have had them on the ol VS for what feels like forever and they have lasted (been machined once, which apparently was informed is more difficult than doing just a standard set).
Did i notice a difference back then, yes, but it may also have been due to the combination with the pads.

Have a combo of the 5000/4000 series on another car and they stop really well, but that is in conjunction with some 6/4 APs.

Quick read says that slotted is better than drilled for very demanding conditions, but for a daily its much for muchness.
Might come down to if you plan on towing much? If so go the slotted.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
T3s are good, Have had them on the ol VS for what feels like forever and they have lasted (been machined once, which apparently was informed is more difficult than doing just a standard set).
Did i notice a difference back then, yes, but it may also have been due to the combination with the pads.

Have a combo of the 5000/4000 series on another car and they stop really well, but that is in conjunction with some 6/4 APs.

Quick read says that slotted is better than drilled for very demanding conditions, but for a daily its much for muchness.
Might come down to if you plan on towing much? If so go the slotted.
Definitely no towing. Mainly street use...so will most likely go with better looking ones :)

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I use T3 in place of hsv slotted and they have been very good. No runout, no stress fractures. But in saying that I will always pair them with genuine pads

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Im also extremely heavy on the brakes because I hate material build up.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I think they could be discontinuing XS and replacing with XD which are drilled and dimpled...
No mention of XS on DBA web site much...
Hi Ron

I vote the XS
I have T2 now and will upgrade to the XS as well when I do my conversion.
I am leaning towards the XS solely on looks.
In regard to slotted, I have noticed my T2s have surface rust in the slots which makes them look a bit manky. This may still be an issue with the XS but I will be painting the slots with some heat resistant paint before fitment this time around.

I hope the XS are not on the way out. They are nowhere to be seen on their site. Bu still in the hardcopy catalogues. I see reviews from them starting around 2016 and for the drilled and dimpled around 2018. Maybe an email to DBA would confirm. If that is the case, better get them soon or wait for a runout sale

FYI The cheapest I've seen delivered for front and rear is $853

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi Ron

I vote the XS
I have T2 now and will upgrade to the XS as well when I do my conversion.
I am leaning towards the XS solely on looks.
In regard to slotted, I have noticed my T2s have surface rust in the slots which makes them look a bit manky. This may still be an issue with the XS but I will be painting the slots with some heat resistant paint before fitment this time around.

I hope the XS are not on the way out. They are nowhere to be seen on their site. Bu still in the hardcopy catalogues. I see reviews from them starting around 2016 and for the drilled and dimpled around 2018. Maybe an email to DBA would confirm. If that is the case, better get them soon or wait for a runout sale

FYI The cheapest I've seen delivered for front and rear is $853

Yeah. $853 from sparesbox ebay store with discount. Good price.

I found that my last set of T3 had the same issue with rust.
The rust formed on top and the bottom of the face of the rotor where pads do no contact the face of the rotor. Like 1mm on top and couple mm near the hat.
I am annoyed they dont have their en shield coating which are available on their cheapest rotors but not on expensive versions.
I hate rusty brakes...
Most OEM rotirs now have the same anti corrosion coating.

Looking at their web site I think drilled and dimpled will replace XS.

I am still tossing between XS and T3...