Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dceivdu's VQ statesman 5l WIP (last budget project)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Sweet jesus man......can't believe you swapped a VR that you spent to much time cleaning up for this.

I am amazed you made it home without being impounded/defected.

Looks like it needs a respray which will be the entire value of the car alone :/

Looks like it's had a very very tough life.

You definitely have a long job ahead of you.....I can see at least $5k minimum there to get it looking up to scratch (done properly not with rattle cans etc) with matching wheels, tyres, paint, bumpers, panels, dents, interior etc etc let alone anything that might need to be done mechanically

That interior has been ruined by the previous owner too......who the hell would spray a dash black like that....that just made me throw up a little.

Also just a heads up 15W40 is too thin for a 5L especially an old one......20W50 is what keeps them happy (I use penrite HPR30 which keeps my 5L quiet and smooth)

As others have said you would be best buying another car and using this as a donor....its too far gone to do anything with unless your willing to part with the $$ to fix it properly.

Last edited:

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Buy a donor, donk the 5L in there!

Kinng

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You're all right with it being a heap of junk. But I got nothing else now so I have to make this work

Time is one thing though.....money is another.

Without money it's not going to get anywhere....there is only so many cheap small jobs you can do.

I would be looking at getting a set of wheels, bumpers and paint first (thats about $2.5k if you can find someone who will spray the car mates rates and a cheap set of second hand wheels etc).....at least so you don't get defected simply driving down your street.....if you get defected, and you will in that state......you will never get it back on the road again.

Even $500-600 will get you a decent rolling shell that you can transfer everything into....that would be a much better option than trying to panel beat/repair this

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I can't wait for the 'after' photo's

A good vacuum, re-align some panels, rattle can that rear bumper until you get a new one, throw out rubbish, clean engine bay etc.

Should scrub up nicely.
then buff it, get matching wheels, buy a few interior panels etc.

what a little darling it will be!!

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
I can see the potential. You'll look back at those photos when you've tidied it up a heap and find the motivation to keep going.
Good luck with it all, will watch your progress!!!

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SSV Enhanced 5.0, 1999 VT S Pac ll 3.8
Time is one thing though.....money is another.

Without money it's not going to get anywhere....there is only so many cheap small jobs you can do.

I would be looking at getting a set of wheels, bumpers and paint first (thats about $2.5k if you can find someone who will spray the car mates rates and a cheap set of second hand wheels etc).....at least so you don't get defected simply driving down your street.....if you get defected, and you will in that state......you will never get it back on the road again.

Even $500-600 will get you a decent rolling shell that you can transfer everything into....that would be a much better option than trying to panel beat/repair this

I've already fixed the bumper, boot and got VQ interior and got a set of rims. Also got new rear rotors and got a new windscreen wiper motor and blades, along with all new chrome strip for the window bottoms. I will give it a typical rattle can job when I decide a colour but I tell you now it looks better than it did. I will put some up to date pics up when I have time tonight. Stay tuned.

cost so far had gone over $1000... I've sold everything I can think of to get the necessary items I needed.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can see the potential. You'll look back at those photos when you've tidied it up a heap and find the motivation to keep going.

Thanks mate. Your comment has certainly given me a moral boost.

DCEIVDU

Reaction score
Members Ride

Thanks mate. Your comment has certainly given me a moral boost.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
In Melbourne, VQ's are in better condition at the wreaking yards.
Buy a rolling shell mate. Less headache.

That wiring job under the dash makes me want to be sick.