Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead fuel pump or something else?

meme865

VN 5speed manual v6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
Hey guys, i got a S2 vn. it had been sitting for a lil while, and i go to start it but she was out of fuel, anyways i got some fuel filled it up and tried starting, she started for about 5-10mins and then died.... and it wouldnt start again. it will start randomly and once again stop like 5-10mins later then wont start. is it my fuel pump or something like that? i can hear the fuel pump start up when i turn the key and after it stops.. so yea.. help please? =)

Cheers.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
well thats normal for the pump to run for a few seconds after turning on the ignition as the pump only runs for that few secs to pressurize the line. hear if it runs while the car is running. put your ear under the tank and listen while the engine is running. tell me what happens

meme865

VN 5speed manual v6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
iv changed the filter. car still isnt starting. but if it starts ill have a listen, but if its running then the pump must be working right? just around like 10mins it dies. weird right?

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Sounds like CAS to me, if the car heats up and stops. If you do getting it running again wait tell it stops and throw some water on the CAS and see if it then starts. I think thats how you test it? I havent done it before someone else can verify.

Try changing your EFI relay, ive had it fail on me before :)

meme865

VN 5speed manual v6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
I put water over the CAS once it stopped, and it didnt start. i changed the EFI relay over and still nothing. anymore ideas?

jamiepasslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1 S-Pack
Check if the car has spark when it wont re-start.

If it does not have spark then check the DFI Module. You should also be able to check it for codes. If the ECU is not getting a signal from the CAS, then it should log a code.

Once it cuts out, pour water on the edge of the coil pack near the alternator until the underside of the coil is cool. Leave it for about a minunte or 2 and try to start it. Just did mine as it cut out in the middle of a main road and wouldn't re-start for an hour.

meme865

VN 5speed manual v6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
how do i check for codes?