Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead starter?

_vendetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman II
Hiya,

Vs statesman won’t crank, Security light clicks off, can hear the solenoid click but nothing happens after. Grabbed the multimeter, battery is 12 volts, get voltage drop of about 0.5 when I turn the key to start. I checked the positive lead on the solenoid and it’s getting a solid 12 as well, and matches the voltage drop when I crank. Checked the negative on the solenoid and it sits at 10 when I turn the key so I assume the solenoids fine but the actual starters gone? Anything else I should check before I go out and buy a new starter?

Edit: I’ve also checked the engine ground near the alternator and cleaned it as well as the battery terminal ground.

the engine started about a week ago but I had no exhaust on so quickly shut it down, did this another 2/3 more times to check oil pressure etc, left it for a few days and now won’t crank.

had issues before I took the engine out with it being slow to crank or not cranking at all intermittently.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Try starting it with a set of jumper leads. Sounds like your battery is not up to the job (I presume you have cleaned, tightened the terminals).

_vendetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman II
Tried that, didn’t do much. Found a good price for a new starter ($170) and installed it this arvo, seems to have done the trick. Or whatever gremlins are to blame will came back again soon

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try Ashdown Ingram mine cost me about $130 might be a tad more for a V8 one.