Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead VG Ute

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Might need to take the HB off again and inspect the CAS.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Might need to take the HB off again and inspect the CAS.

I was especially careful when putting it on to ensure it never caught on anything & it has clearance but I guess it won’t hurt to have another look at it all.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Set the air gap so it has the same gap on each side, check to see if you are getting spark.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Set the air gap so it has the same gap on each side, check to see if you are getting spark.
I was hoping I had set it up like that but I never used feeler gauges & yes I am getting spark but it didn’t look to be a strong spark. I’ll have another go at it tomorrow & see what happens. I’m all out of enthusiasm today, lol.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
I read your first post and you mentioned the strong fuel smell like it was flooded, grab yourself a new set of plugs as the fuel has probably killed the plugs.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
I read your first post and you mentioned the strong fuel smell like it was flooded, grab yourself a new set of plugs as the fuel has probably killed the plugs.
Bloody hell I hope not, they are brand new plugs. I really don’t think being a bit flooded would wreck the plugs!

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
If you have spark, the case it working

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Seeing spark doesn't mean the ignition system is in good working condition.

I tried an ebay CAS a few years back on my old ecotec and it ran, but constantly missed and had no power. Started pinging too - absolute nightmare. Ended up buying a genuine one and was fine again. Obviously it gave a weak or intermittent signal. I don't touch cheap chinese ignition components or sensors anymore. Quality control is obviously non existent.

Flooding won't kill plugs once off, but over time it can stress ignition components unnecessarily. Not something to worry about imo.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had issues with Delphi sensors. Seems like even OEM have suffered from poor quality control. OP needs the air gap set right and then report back. X2 on the flooding not being a major issue. Flooding used to be common on carbi cars and foot to to floor cleared it. Changing plugs every time an engine floods seems unnecessary.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
I have had issues with Delphi sensors. Seems like even OEM have suffered from poor quality control. OP needs the air gap set right and then report back. X2 on the flooding not being a major issue. Flooding used to be common on carbi cars and foot to to floor cleared it. Changing plugs every time an engine floods seems unnecessary.

Now I’m worried, I bought an American made Delphi sensor thinking it would be an idiot proof sensor.