Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead VG Ute

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Well nothing has changed. After it started ok I took it for a run into town & it went just fine. I came out of the shops & it took a bit to start (red flag right there), I started to head home & it was hesitating under acceleration, stopped at the lights & so did it. I wound it for a bit & no go so I held the throttle wide open & kept winding, after a few attempts to start it finally fired up & blew heaps of fuel smoke for a bit then run ok but wouldn’t idle. I bought another new CAS & will put that in on Sunday. I also have a new IAC on it & have a new TPS on the way to put on it as well.
Anyone have any idea as to what else could be up its arse now?
I was hoping to put it in a show tomorrow but that’s not gunna happen now. :(

Cheers.......Pete!

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Are all the engine earths good, especially any in areas that get hot when the engine's run for a while?

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Are all the engine earths good, especially any in areas that get hot when the engine's run for a while?

Haven’t really thought about that but will definitely check them now.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
So does this green wire supposed to go somewhere?

Attachments

• 8606852B-ADC8-4269-9C66-BCBA825A6C70.jpeg
    8606852B-ADC8-4269-9C66-BCBA825A6C70.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 181

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Well it’s clearly not the CAS as I just put a brand new one on (No 2) & it ran for about 2 mins then the revs started to rise & it started running rough. I tried to rev it up & it just kept dying. I let it idle again for a bit then it just died & now refuses to start. I’m at a loss to know what’s going on now, I’ve tried everything I know but with limited knowledge of fuel injected motors I’m just about done!

7EC49A15-41B6-4D3F-BE49-75827EAC8C79.jpeg
Also what is this thing & can it cause problems?

Last edited:

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute

I can only find 2 engine earths & one comes from the battery to the front right of the engine block down low & the other is a smaller one to the inner guard beside the battery. Should there be more on it?

I just put another one on it just to make me feel better.

B72DB584-EDC4-4617-A1B4-6854E2086683.jpeg

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I can only find 2 engine earths & one comes from the battery to the front right of the engine block down low & the other is a smaller one to the inner guard beside the battery. Should there be more on it?

I just put another one on it just to make me feel better.

View attachment 206581
A lot of the control components earth through a module mounting stud on the right of the engine and there's another earth on the front cover of the block. I have a 5 litre V8 so which is a bit different, so I'm looking at the Holden manual for your engine- I haven't physically seen the earths on a V6.
Does your engine have an MAP sensor? It has a single light green wire.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
View attachment 206580
A lot of the control components earth through a module mounting stud on the right of the engine and there's another earth on the front cover of the block. I have a 5 litre V8 so which is a bit different, so I'm looking at the Holden manual for your engine- I haven't physically seen the earths on a V6.
Does your engine have an MAP sensor? It has a single light green wire.

I posted a pic just above of a black box on the firewall which I now believe is a MAP sensor but it has three wires going to it & a hose out the back. As for earths, I can only find the two.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
That's the MAP sensor, 3 wires the light green one, a blue one and a green & yellow one.The engine harness should be earthed to an earth on the module mounting stud. If you can find it in a photo Holden call it "location E". If the ECM's not earthed that may be your problem, but I'm not a V6 expert.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Black thing is map sensor..has vacuum hose & 3 wire plug & probably go into limp mode if disconnected,run rough.

Green wire looks like air compressor wire

Ecu earths are in wiring harness to block.

Have you checked for fault codes?