Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead VG Ute

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
"started it again & it didn’t want to run, kept dying when i touched the throttle" that's not the IAC. A bad IAC will cause high idle after a high speed run because it can't reset to the required low air flow. Your problem sounds fuel related but if you try another IAC make sure you retract it enough (surface of the valve to the tip of the pintle less than 28mm) when you install it and either set it by running the engine at 2500 rpm for at least 20 seconds-in the garage or driving around.

Oh ok, didn’t know about setting the height, I just took it out of the box & threw it in. I guess I’ll have to take it out now & set it properly?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You also need to check the pintle isn't bent or damaged although the last Delphi one I installed was shipped with the pintle retracted -it didn't need presetting.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
75BFBEAE-56C6-423B-AA17-0652CC56E885.jpeg 127B9473-AF4E-44AC-902D-DE7BE48E6CB9.jpeg
You also need to check the pintle isn't bent or damaged although the last Delphi one I installed was shipped with the pintle retracted -it didn't need presetting.
Ok I took the IAC out & checked it, it was set about 26mm & the pintle is fine. I had it running for about 2 mins & the exhaust is black & wet although it’s the first time I’ve started it today. I just put a new chrome end on it that’s why I noticed how quickly it got so black. Still running like a piece of shite though. I’m going to get an ECM off a mate to give it a try, it’s about the only thing left to do now.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
View attachment 206861 View attachment 206862
Ok I took the IAC out & checked it, it was set about 26mm & the pintle is fine. I had it running for about 2 mins & the exhaust is black & wet although it’s the first time I’ve started it today. I just put a new chrome end on it that’s why I noticed how quickly it got so black. Still running like a piece of shite though. I’m going to get an ECM off a mate to give it a try, it’s about the only thing left to do now.
Good luck, it might be something simple like a dry joint in the ECM, I had this happen about 20 years ago.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Good luck, it might be something simple like a dry joint in the ECM, I had this happen about 20 years ago.

I sure hope it’s something simple like that MikeC, I’ve replaced every other sensor in it & nothing has changed. At least I’ve got spare sensors for it now....