Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] dealer trade-in tips... any?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sell your car privately if you're willing.

Then it's just a matter of playing the game. If they want 20 for the new car, offer 15. They may come back at 18 - but then you tell them that there's another one you're going to look at that's advertised for 16k with lower km in similar condition etc. If they don't move any further, tell them you'll leave it for the minute until you've seen other vehicles.

Sometimes they'll drop their price further just before you walk out of the place in desperation. And NEVER make out that you're in love with the car you're looking at buying. Also, be careful you don't take friends/family/missus with you if they're likely to express their enthusiasm towards purchasing the car - or at least forewarn them to keep their excitement to themselves until you leave the place. Nothing worse than trying to negotiate with the seller when *somebody* makes it clear you're not leaving the place without a new car lol

Another thing - don't just bargain on price. Added warranties and extras such as tinting, paint protection, small repairs etc can make a big difference too. These things cost the dealership very little, but generally cost a fair bit if you were to go and have it all done yourself after the fact.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Need to have time on your side,lots of patience playing the game & have your own finances worked out preferably cash/cheque is king.

If you can sell your car for more privately then do it otherwise visit 10 caryards if you have untill get salesman willing to write price you want on their business car...they won't want to & will get annoyed,just remember it's a game.

Make sure you know model + specs/colour & price range of car you want...go in with homework done yet be prepared to walk away if reasonable can't be done.

Be decisive & know what you want also be sure to leave emotions etc out of it but think of it as a game that may take weeks/months to find right car & deal.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
This is a handy vid dealing with a car dealer...

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Think of a car thats realistically worth $8000. Dealer has to put a three month warranty on it and make a profit and then has to add GST. So they'll offer you $5000, so they can add $1000 to cover warranty, $2000 profit and then $3000 to catch out the people who don't know how to negotiate. Thats $11,000, then add GST, all of a sudden it's on the lot for $11,990, for a car they offered you $5000 for. There's always decent margins in the ticketed prices.
Remember the sales pitch paint protection, fabric protection extended warranty etc dealers live of this ****

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Don't trade your old car in.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Don't trade your old car in.
I was offered a grand trade in for my vx when I bought my ve , ended up selling it for 3 grand " as is ". The sales guy was all over me managed to get 4 grand off asking price then when I told him I was paying cash his whole mood changed . They asked me if I got a bank loan because they said they were more competitive. When I said no they said I should leave the money in the bank and talk to their finance guy . Then came the tint , fabric protection and paint protection spiel and a no to all .