Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dealing with brush painted panels

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Team

I have a VZ SS ute that was assaulted with a paintbrush and rattle can by the previous owner. See photos below:

I am preparing to start on the exterior. Most of the black is a matt looking finish applied thinly using a rattle can. I think this can easily be rubbed back.

The black trim around the top of the tub and the grille has been applied with a paint brush - I think it may be Metal Guard or something similar from Bunnings. The silver is also done by brush = thick and streaky. Maybe some sort of chrome/silver finish from Bunnings as well. Neither are flakey; just showing thick brush strokes.

I have a new letterbox grille on the way so I will simply toss the old one into the spares box. I am going to either replace the bonnet with a fibreglass Monaro style or add a 2in reverse cowl/bulge. Yet to decide - but suffice to say the bonnet and grille will be starting from new.

What are the recommendations for dealing with the brushed on finishes and preparing for the new finish? I intend to finish it in 2 Pack Heron White.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

Attachments

• 201206_Front_small.jpg
    201206_Front_small.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 201206_LHS_small.jpg
    201206_LHS_small.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 201206_Rear_small.jpg
    201206_Rear_small.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hadn't thought of that approach. Will keep it in mind it may be the quickest and easiest.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
So I guess it is off to Supercrap to see what I can find. Last time I did this was on my FC. Apply the stripper and covered with gals wrap to stop evaporating way. Still the same process or have the solvents improved nowadays?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Septone from SCA is pretty good, I've also had good results with Selleys from Mitre 10.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks mate. I’ll see what I can get at SCA and give it a crack. I have a blue hard lid that has cracked paint so Ill give it a crack on it too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be careful on fibreglass and plastic, some plastic panels don't take well to standard strippers and require a specific one designed for plastic. Also need to get it off quick, and wash it well as it can burn in and affect the bond of the plastic primer.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check when I pick it up. There weren’t any issues with the FC. Nothing plastic on the exterior. :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had mixed results on the VR. Bumprettes and tub corners, zero issues. Front bumper it did a tiny bit of damage that I had to fill with thick primer.