Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Death of the Falcon and Territory

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK, i know this is a Commodore site, but the Falcon and Territory cease production on Friday 7th October 2016. Eleven days' time and Ford stops building cars in Australia after nearly 80 years.

The FGX Falcon is a pretty rare sight on our roads - it seems as though Australians have forgotten it even exists.

So, Commodore site or not - will you be sorry to see the Falcon go?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Falcon stopped production first, Holden wins?

Sorry just had to do it :)

Yeah I am but just like GM too little too late.

Saw this just now on FB, sad day indeed.

oOsLeMh.png

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Falcon has been dying a slow death for years.........

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Yep, I will be sorry to see it go just because it means all the big three are going. Gone is the local rivalry between the brands, it's an end to a manufacturing era in our country and I do wonder if our inept politicians even give a **** and have a plan for the countries future.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, I will be sorry to see it go just because it means all the big three are going. Gone is the local rivalry between the brands, it's an end to a manufacturing era in our country and I do wonder if our inept politicians even give a **** and have a plan for the countries future.

they most certainly do not care at all unless it costs them votes.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Of course it's a sad day.

I've had a lot Falcons and Fairlanes over the years back when Ford built decent cars, but changed to Holden in the '90s for my/our general use vehicles.

But I did have a '73 HQ Ute in the 80s & 90s that was beaut for collecting firewood and delivering rough stuff to clients.
It was also very good for going out on a miserable rainy Saturday night in Melbourne and parking where there was a chance of the moron that has to hit your vehicle with his/her door doing a nice new dent, rather than taking one of the nice fleet of cars I had at that time.

Very sad day, but Ford I believe will make far more profit by closing things down here and importing.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I'm sad to see Falcon go, I've owned almost as many of them as Commodores. But Ford has been playing catch up ever since it dropped the V8 in the 80s, followed by hanging on to the EA shape virtually unchanged for 3 models, then finally the abomination that was the AU. The EF/EL era was decent but the 2000 stuff just left me cold. Holden was just one step ahead of the game in most areas -not all- but the ones that count. In my view anyway.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm sad to see Falcon go, I've owned almost as many of them as Commodores. But Ford has been playing catch up ever since it dropped the V8 in the 80s, followed by hanging on to the EA shape virtually unchanged for 3 models, then finally the abomination that was the AU. The EF/EL era was decent but the 2000 stuff just left me cold. Holden was just one step ahead of the game in most areas -not all- but the ones that count. In my view anyway.

I would agree that Ford never fully recovered from the AU.

IMO, they introduced the ugliest Falcon ever, immediately after Holden introduced one of the best looking and most popular Commodore models ever.

AU - wrong car, wrong time.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would agree that Ford never fully recovered from the AU.

IMO, they introduced the ugliest Falcon ever, immediately after Holden introduced one of the best looking and most popular Commodore models ever.

AU - wrong car, wrong time.

Yeah the AU was a dumpster fire - not only was it as ugly as sin but it was awful to drive - the perfect storm of fail. Then because they committed so much to the mistake they had to keep it going for the AUII and III. Meanwhile GM have one of the best models ever.

Even doing that GM are still closing up shop. The Aussie market is too hostile for foreign investment in manufacturing.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
For those of us like me who were just about to start driving when the GTS 327 and GT were released, and who lived through the performance car generation when Holden and Ford were king, the thought of both companies shutting up shop was inconceivable. Local sedans ruled the roost on the roads. The "Big Three" was a reality, Leyland was about to try to join them with the P76 and had been building Australian versions of Pommy cars for years, AMI were assembling Triumphs and various other rubbish, Nissan was about to commence local manufacture and Toyota wasn't far behind. Many other foreign makes such as VW were assembled here.

After sometime in early 2018 - nothing.