Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Debadging damage

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
Alright, for the record I've debaged every car I've ever owned without ever causing any damage to the paint, but while removing some badges today I discovered I'd done this.
Yeah...I know

Looks like I've managed to put friction burns through the clear coat but the paint underneath seems to mostly intact. In my defence that particular badge had an insane amount of adhesive on it and it was nigh on impossible to even find a corner to get the fishing line under. And yes, I heated it up with a hair-dryer, went slow and took my time...but I totally f*cked it up anyway.

It's kind of embarrassing really.

Any opinions, expert or otherwise or advice would be most welcome.

I'm happy to explore DIY and paid professional options...although I don't trust myself to use a rotary buffer tbh. I'll leave that to the experts

I'm in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne if anyone has any paint restorer/shop recommendations too. recommendations.

So yeah...HELP!

Last edited:

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
20210701_223257~2.jpg
20210701_223257.jpg

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If it's not adhesive residue, it should buff out ok. Can't help you with any recommendation for repairers in the eastern suburbs.

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
If it's not adhesive residue, it should buff out ok. Can't help you with any recommendation for repairers in the eastern suburbs.

All the adhesive is gone but from what I can tell I burned away and scuffed up the clear coat with the fishing line. Hopefully a buff will restore it like you said. Cheers for the response

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
All the adhesive is gone but from what I can tell I burned away and scuffed up the clear coat with the fishing line. Hopefully a buff will restore it like you said. Cheers for the response

Looks like the clear coat has slight damage, shouldn't take much effort to fix.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Are you sure thats not left over glue. I doubt fishing line is going to do that sort of damage to modern clear coats. I'd acetone it down...see what comes off.
If it is damaged then maybe a light cutback and buff.

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
Are you sure thats not left over glue. I doubt fishing line is going to do that sort of damage to modern clear coats. I'd acetone it down...see what comes off.
If it is damaged then maybe a light cutback and buff.

I've polished the bajeezuz out of it and it's not budging. I'm fairly positive the adhesives all gone though but I'll grab some acetone and make sure.

A badge would probably cover that blemish perfectly.
:cool:

It would, yes. It's the perfect shape and size too.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Polishing it won’t fix it,
Get some mentholated spirits or degreaser on to it to clean area to remove remaining gum from decal adhesive material, then wash it down with clean water
Then get some fine cutter on to it, either Maguires scratch remover, or Maguires Ultimate Compound
or
old school “T-Cut”, I have used T-Cut for years to remove fine scratch’s, blemishes and oxidisation, always bought it in bulk, as it’s always worked for me,
then Polish it, then reseal it with a good wax
The most important part is, take your time,
If the above doesn’t work, all is not lost, at least you had a go.