Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Debatable question!

VX_TUKN20

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx calais
Hey guys so ima cut straight too it..
Can you wash your engine bay with a gernie or karcher or any sort of pressure wash system??

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Not the greatest idea to be using a pressure cleaner in your engine bay, you can use degreaser and a garden hose if your careful enough being aware of the electrics

VX_TUKN20

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx calais
ok fair point thanks mate!
Havent been told too try degreaser and normal hose.. have been told to use a spray bottle haha but i imagine that would take hours to wash away anything..

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Every detailer, mechanic and most owners just use a high pressure washer.
Yes you can get water in the coils some times and they require replacement if that happens but it's 1 in 50 cars you end up with a miss.
Obviously you don't aim it at ECU connectors and coils but these components are designed to get wet.
I've heard people say there's a chance you can get water into connectors but in response to that I can give you a gold plated guarantee It's much much worse having oil all over components. Oil ecspecially diesel oil breaks down rubber and some soft plastics like the water seals in connectors. They swell up and when you undo the connector they pop out and won't go back in leaving it open for corrosion. I would rather have a weep of mositure in my connector than oil on it.

Dak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I use a good degreaser and normal garden hose.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I cover the engine bay with my foamer full of wash and wax mix, then wash everything I can get to with a wash mit, then clean it off with garden hose, finally hitting the bay with my leaf blower to remove water from all the fiddly spots.

Leave blowers are boss for drying everything, even the paint, and as it is a no touch way to dry you minimise swirl marks that you can sometimes get using clean microfibre cloths, or, heavon forbid, those chamois that just love to leave scratches.

The blower will help remove water from basically every nook and cranny, from around the coil packs, plugs, inlet, alternator.

I even use it on my rims, one quick blast removes all the water from the lug nut wells and wheel spokes.

I have used a high pressure washer and degreaser on older cars to clean off 10-20 years of gunk from, engines, transmissions, undertrays, sumps and under body.

I don't like using degreaser as it can discolour parts.

In saying that as long as you use "common sense" and don't get too close to wiring or bearings your golden With a pressure washer.

I also like to use WD40 before I start cleaning the engine bay, I pump that **** into every electrical connection and basically coat everything I can get to.

Attachments

• s-l400-1.jpg
    s-l400-1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 98

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I cover the engine bay with my foamer full of wash and wax mix, then wash everything I can get to with a wash mit, then clean it off with garden hose, finally hitting the bay with my leaf blower to remove water from all the fiddly spots.

Leave blowers are boss for drying everything, even the paint, and as it is a no touch way to dry you minimise swirl marks that you can sometimes get using clean microfibre cloths, or, heavon forbid, those chamois that just love to leave scratches.

The blower will help remove water from basically every nook and cranny, from around the coil packs, plugs, inlet, alternator.

I even use it on my rims, one quick blast removes all the water from the lug nut wells and wheel spokes.

I have used a high pressure washer and degreaser on older cars to clean off 10-20 years of gunk from, engines, transmissions, undertrays, sumps and under body.

I don't like using degreaser as it can discolour parts.

In saying that as long as you use "common sense" and don't get too close to wiring or bearings your golden With a pressure washer.

I also like to use WD40 before I start cleaning the engine bay, I pump that **** into every electrical connection and basically coat everything I can get to.

Autosmart degreaser doesn't mark parts.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You can use a pressure washer but keep it away from plugs and electrical ****. Plug connectors have seals to keep out moisture but they aren't designed to keep out high pressure water. Personally, a can of degreaser and the garden hose works for me (and I still don't hose down critical electrical components).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Keep water away from the TPS, moisture and muck in those makes them fail pretty quickly.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also you don't use the turbo head but the fan head. The turbo head has a jet stream which is likely why some people get water in where it's not supposed to be if you use the fan head it's much better.