Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Decent battery?

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
G,day,
I just got my Krudd money and i want to get a top of the line battery for my 04 rodeo
Ill be running 2 Hella Rallye 4000's and an external terminal box in the tray for a hand held spot light.. with the possibility of hooking up 2 reverse lights aswell. Ive already ruled OUT dual battery system.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
How come u don't want a dual battery setup? They aren't that expensive, and you'd still have enough for a decent battery. I bought a Matson dual battery kit for $145 which has the isolator and all the cables ready to go, just need to be shortened and lugs put on the end (which are included). Or if ya wanna go a Redarc which seems to be the go (we got one of those too and it seems to be doing ok), ya get the isolators off ebay for about $130, then ya just gotta fork out for ya wiring.

I've got a Supercharge Allrounder 760CCA deep cycle battery, it's powerful and being a deep cycle u can run it flat and charge it all the time with no probs. Cost me about $200.

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
How come u don't want a dual battery setup? They aren't that expensive, and you'd still have enough for a decent battery. I bought a Matson dual battery kit for $145 which has the isolator and all the cables ready to go, just need to be shortened and lugs put on the end (which are included). Or if ya wanna go a Redarc which seems to be the go (we got one of those too and it seems to be doing ok), ya get the isolators off ebay for about $130, then ya just gotta fork out for ya wiring.

I've got a Supercharge Allrounder 760CCA deep cycle battery, it's powerful and being a deep cycle u can run it flat and charge it all the time with no probs. Cost me about $200.

Well to be honest i didnt really read into dual battery systems much, ever since ARB quoated me 600 bucks... but if you saying its do able your self and isnt that expensive.. i might look further into it... cheers.

On another note: Would a Dual system be needed?, what are the rodeos like with running spotties and other stuff?, would it even be worth while?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
The only other cost to think of is a battery tray, plus coz ur after a 2nd battery, but if u can fab a tray up urself ur laughin. All ya gotta do is buy the isolator (most expensive bit), connect one of the terminals to ur auxiliary battery (deep cycle), then the other post on the isolator goes to ur main battery, and ur alternator charging wire remains the same going to ur main battery. The idea is so the main battery charges all the time, and when the isolator gets about 13.5/14v it shuts which connects the 2nd battery to the main battery and starts charging. When u turn ur car off the voltage drops coz it's not charging and the isolator opens again so it separates the batteries. And u have ALL ur accessories running off the auxiliary battery. So then ya can run it flat and still start up and go, and it starts charging again.....that's a basic rundown anyways.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
just get a powercrank yellow top.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
as far as i knew, there wasnt any aftermarket application for ra rodeos due to a lack of engine bay room,

if you want a second battery and probably best solution, get a projector electronic battery isolator kit, its about 160 bucks but comes with big lengths of wiring, terminals mounting brackets etc,

then just get a steel box that fits a battery, probably good idea to place some insertion rubber in the bottom of the tray to dampen it a little, stick the battery in, affix it to the tray, either on top or somewhere below the tray,

good luck

an n70z style deep cycle will be good for running lights, fridges etc, deep cycle batterys dont tend to last real good if you crank motors off them