Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

decibel lights on JBL amp

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Hi

On both my JBL amps I have some little dB lights that light up with the music. The louder the music the more of them light up. I have been trying to work out exactly what they are for. Does anyone know?

I’ve come up with the following information after going through some electronics books I have at home.

If you graph the gain of an amplification circuit on log graph paper. Put frequency response on the horizontal axis and decibels on the vertical. This will graph the frequency response of an amp. When the frequency response of an amp is zero decibels it means the frequency that corresponds to that point on the line graph is unfiltered. As the Decibels grow negative then the frequency is slowly filtered.

Ok, so here is what I’m thinking. On my amp I have lights that light up from -15dB to +3dB (picture of what i'm talking bout here http://users.cjb.net/dephililepictures/index.htm) if the +3dB LED lights up does that mean the amp is clipping? It needs to be f***ing loud for that to happen. So does that mean I should tune my setup so that it never passes the 0db LED?

To give you some idea of what the graph I was talking about looks like I tried to recreate something similar to what I found in the text book with text characters. The red “/” and “-“ represent the graph of frequency response.
Ignore any blue zero’s. I had to use them to space things out coz the forum don’t like it when you just use spaces.

BTW, is there some sort of browser setting that needs to be set to upload pictures? I couldn’t upload the picture, I had to chuck it on a website and link to it. i use firefox.

|000000000 /--------------------------- 0db
|000000/
|000/ -20db Decibels
|/
| -40db
|
|
|_____________________________
100001000001000 00010000

frequency

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Here we go mate, I found this for you to read on "VU meters" thats what those lights are.
http://www.shure.com/support/technotes/app-meter.html

What I have to say about them.
Yes, when you go over the 0db mark, your amplifier begins to clip. A little bit of clip every now and again is fine, but you need to define what a little bit is...The way I like to set them is like this...

Use a bass !_HEAVY_! song...needs lots of bass in it.
Crank up the bass on the head unit
Crank up the volume on the headunit
Now adjust the gain control on the amp so that it "peaks" into the 3+db range with every beat.
Now back the system off and re-adjust your bass control to where you have it and she is setup for max volume all day long.