Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

deciding between Cams for LY7

christojesus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 pontiac G8 base
I'm trying to decide between cams for my LY7 im stuck between 210/210 or 226/226. does the larger cam require the suporting mods ie. lifters valve springs ect. only want to dig into the motor once so want to do everything right the first time. and thinking about upgrading the top end of the motor to while im in there. oh yeah its going in my 2009 Pontiac G8 base with the Ly7 im building up.

MACE

Reaction score
"I'm trying to decide between cams for my LY7 im stuck between 210/210 or 226/226. does the larger cam require the suporting mods ie. lifters valve springs ect. only want to dig into the motor once so want to do everything right the first time. and thinking about upgrading the top end of the motor to while im in there. oh yeah its going in my 2009 Pontiac G8 base with the Ly7 im building up."
We'd only recommend the larger cams for say a speedway or race type application and if you planning on revving the motor well beyond its rpm limits. Supporting mods would be mandatory and head work is ideal.

If the car is still a daily driver then the 210 split will be more than satisfactory. Given these motors have VCT, the lope at idle can be adjusted to your liking within reason.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Damian

christojesus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 pontiac G8 base
i was wonering how some videos of 210 cams sounded bigger. I might have the car as a drag/autocross car but still would want it to be streetable. thanks for the info! in both cases id want to do all the supporting mods anyways. what work would you recommend being done to the heads?

MACE

Reaction score
"i was wonering how some videos of 210 cams sounded bigger."
As explained previously, the LSA can be controlled to a certain degree but obviously, the exhaust system may also play a part.

"I might have the car as a drag/autocross car but still would want it to be streetable."
I did forget to mention that the problem with the 226 grinds, is that there will be insufficient vacuum on idle for the brake booster to work (brakes will hardly work on idle). A bigger booster/vacuum pump is recommended if keeping the car as a daily.

"what work would you recommend being done to the heads?"
Enlarge the ports to promote greater airflow and possibly have them shaved to bump up compression if piston to valve clearance allows for it.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Damian

christojesus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 pontiac G8 base
what do you recomend getting for a stall? and any recomended brands for a brake booster? ill have to find a local shop to do the work on the heads

MACE

Reaction score
"Thanks for the info! This will help me out lots!"
No problems happy to help :)

"what do you recomend getting for a stall?"
A 3K stall should be fine.

"and any recomended brands for a brake booster?"
Try contacting Rocket Industries or VPW and explain your application to them, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

"ill have to find a local shop to do the work on the heads"
Any engine/cylinder head re-conditioner will be able to tackle the job.

Kind Regards,
Damian

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
"I'm trying to decide between cams for my LY7 im stuck between 210/210 or 226/226. does the larger cam require the suporting mods ie. lifters valve springs ect. only want to dig into the motor once so want to do everything right the first time. and thinking about upgrading the top end of the motor to while im in there. oh yeah its going in my 2009 Pontiac G8 base with the Ly7 im building up."
We'd only recommend the larger cams for say a speedway or race type application and if you planning on revving the motor well beyond its rpm limits. Supporting mods would be mandatory and head work is ideal.

If the car is still a daily driver then the 210 split will be more than satisfactory. Given these motors have VCT, the lope at idle can be adjusted to your liking within reason.

Kind Regards,
Damian
Do you still sell/make the 226/226 LY7 Cams???