Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deciding on which oil to use

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Hey all

My ve omega is due for its 115k service soon but I'm unsure which oil to use.
I have been reading up on her and I can see there's a mix of people using

*5w-30
*5w-40
*10w-30
*10w-40

I ave never serviced my car myself as usually I would get my mechanic to do it so I have no clue one Which oil to use. My driving consists of city/freeway driving and occasionally I drive the car on long trips.

I'm mostly leaning towards the 5w-40 or the 10w-30 as my car is fairly new but once it gets a bit older ill start using something like 10w-40.

For the mean time which one would be best recommended for me ? Thr price is not a leice as i want the best for my vehicle ;) Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks all :)

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
I would be using what ever the service manual or oil cap says to.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I ave never serviced my car myself as usually I would get my mechanic to do it
Ask your mechanic what he`s been using in your car.

WayneW

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Monaro CV8
All the oil companies have a lube guide on there websites, I usually just decide what brand I want and check there site. I went with Penrite, as that is what Powertorque recommended.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
OP, does your Omega have the older 3.6L alloytec or one of the SIDI engines?

You mention city/hwy driving, but how long on average is the car running for at operating temperature? 15-20min short trips, or longer trips around an hour or so?
Also, where is the car normally kept at night? On the driveway or tucked away in a nice comfy garage?
Do you live in an area with frosty mornings (ice on windscreen), or near the coast where more moderate temperatures?

The reason I ask all this is because most of your engine damage can occur when the engine (and in particular the engine oil) is stone cold. How cold the car gets at night, and how hot it gets when driving (and for how long) will determine your best oil.
I seriously doubt you'll need a 40 grade oil in the middle of winter in Melbourne, and I reckon you should be concentrating on cold protection unless you plan of absolutely flogging the poor girl with hard heavy towing or a very long trip.
Going for a lower grade oil will also help out fuel consumption a little, but dont go too low obviously.

Come back with your engine type and other details and I'm happy to help further.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Put a bit of each in it. That should fix the problem. Seriously, go by the hand book, or ask your mechanic( if he has any idea that is)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Mostly being a V8 guy i've never used 5W30 but seems that the alloytec loves thin oil so that's what our berlina is getting, just change at 7500 instead of 15000km intervals

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
If its the alloytec, you need to run the correct oil, and change it earlier(as mentioned, 7,500ks as a good figure)
I have seen the results of incorrect servicing on one of these, and it aint pretty.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
These are latest spec oils and suitable for all 2006 - 2013 VE Commodores.

1. Fully Synthetic --- MOBIL 1 5W-30 DEXOS 1 (Available Repco stores . If not marked Dexos 1 do not buy it). About $87 for 5 litres

2. Fully Synthetic--- PENRITE Enviro Plus GF5 DEXOX 1 5W-30 Here: Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil
Hard to get due to poor distribution by Penrite. Many outlets do not stock it. Contact Penrite for stockists near you. About $85 for 5 litres. If not labeled GF 5 DEXOX 1 do not buy it as there are other 5w-30 products.

3. Semi Synthetic - Valvoline Durablend 5W -30 DX 1. If not marked DX 1 do not buy it as it is the old superseded oil. About $50 for 5 litres.

These are all latest spec GF 5 oils made to GM DEXOS 1 specs. I suggest you use one of the fully synthetic products.

Ideally change the engine oil and oil filter every 5000 kms and never later than 7500 kms. It's inexpensive engine maintenance.

Last edited:

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
^^^

Option 1 is what I'm likely to use once my free servicing runs out... It's what I ran in my EVO X but it's also what HSV runs.