Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deciding what to get VF or VF series 2.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Paint can’t be any thinner than our MY2014 ... you’d put stone-chips in it if you glanced at it too quickly. :)

ToeCutter21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline MY15 + VF2 Redline MY17
Hi All,

I'm currently driving a VF SV6 wagon which I love, but missing the power of my VE V8 calais I had which had 260rwkw. It's time for an upgrade but I am undecided what direction to go.
My budget for total spend would allow to either buy a VF series 1 Calais (I love the sleeper look) with $10K-$12K of mods or a series 2 Calais which would leave me a budget of $5K of mods. I know the LS3 is superior to the L77 but I don't know if I'm better off with a series 1 with full exhaust, intake, cam, tune and upgraded brakes (probably around the 330rwkw mark) or get the LS3 with cat back exhaust, intake and tune, plus brakes (probably around 280rwkw). I know getting the series 1 would get me more power, but would is the series 2 the better car?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I had a series 1 (Redline). Loved it, tuned it, spent big money on it.

Loved it so much I got a series 2. Still love it, didn't tune it. After two years with a series 1 I'd got out of my system the flat out starts, the attention to maxing out hp, tweaking the performance. Tuned or untuned, it blows the doors off everything else, overtaking is a breeze, it's the everyday comforts that make a difference.

Whilst I like the idea that the 6.2 makes a little more hp than the 6.0, the reality is I rarely am driving in a manner that would see any difference, but I really kind of liked the technology in the series 1 that shut down 4 cylinders when cruising on the highway - that's something I used every day.

Currently own a series 2, would recommend a series 1 just for the fuel economy advantages.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Isn’t the stuff that mechanically manages cylinder deactivation a liability in terms of longevity?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes some have stated the collapsible cam followers are less reliable. I’d think as long as clean quality oil is used there should be little problems. And the design is such that the solenoid and collapsible followers which controls the whole shebang are fail safe items so shouldn’t cause any more or less issues than non AFM setup.

I think the main reason people remove AFM stuff is cam upgrades are easier. Happy to be corrected on any falsehoods ;)

ps: exhaust upgrades can also cause horrid noise when AFM kicks in so another reason people remove it :rolleyes:

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Isn’t the stuff that mechanically manages cylinder deactivation a liability in terms of longevity?

L76 lifters were known for a few failures. The lifters were re-designed for the L77.

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
I’m about to sell my series 1 calais V.....

Phantom black paint, cream interior, 20 inch billet alloys,4-1 headers, Manta system, upgraded rotors and pads, lowered.... looks, drives and sounds amazing.

Phantom Black/Titanium Cream Interior Team represent

Last edited:

dazbug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Anyone’s thoughts on either VF redline w310 vs a VF2 SSV, if it would save you 4-5k getting the w310 would that be a better option?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Both great cars. All other things equal, I'd expect the price differences to be a bit more.
The Redline has the bling, the VF2 has the LS3 and will go a bit better even though stock.
Personally I couldn't go back to a car without 4 wheel Brembos or a HSV. So, I'd spend a bit more and get a VF2 Redline.

Nitrate Thunder

Couldn't afford Redline
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV
Hi All,

I'm currently driving a VF SV6 wagon which I love, but missing the power of my VE V8 calais I had which had 260rwkw. It's time for an upgrade but I am undecided what direction to go.
My budget for total spend would allow to either buy a VF series 1 Calais (I love the sleeper look) with $10K-$12K of mods or a series 2 Calais which would leave me a budget of $5K of mods. I know the LS3 is superior to the L77 but I don't know if I'm better off with a series 1 with full exhaust, intake, cam, tune and upgraded brakes (probably around the 330rwkw mark) or get the LS3 with cat back exhaust, intake and tune, plus brakes (probably around 280rwkw). I know getting the series 1 would get me more power, but would is the series 2 the better car?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I went from Ve series2 to a VF series 2, the inside looks great on the series 2 Vf but I would rather the VE series 2 to drive. Just tune it up. VF series 2 and 1 has electronic steering that is the worst on the market. VE all the way